Let's do this deal! Or, you know, whatever...
April 28, 2014 4:43 AM Subscribe
I'm buying a house for the first time and trying to figure out the best way to approach things. I've found one that seems perfect and the asking price is within my budget. However, after a few years of nothing moving things have suddenly picked up, and everything I've looked at over the past month has moved to Sale Agreed really quickly and has gone for above the asking price. I'm trying to work out whether to be aggressive about my offer or not. I'm in the UK so not sure if that makes a difference.
posted by billiebee to Home & Garden (11 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
Basically I'm not sure if I should:
a) go in under the asking price - even though I know it will go for more than that - and risk starting a bidding war
b) go in at the full asking price and wait to see what happens - it's literally been on the market since Saturday so maybe if people ring up to ask about it and it's already at full price it might put some people off even considering it?
c) tell the estate agent to ask the vendors what figure they are hoping for and tell them I will match this if possible in order to get it closed out quickly, but risk the vendors thinking "well if they'll offer X straight away them maybe someone else will offer X+ so let's wait it out" thereby inadvertently pushing the price too high.
Houses in the area I'm looking at are not coming up very often, which is why they're being snapped up, and for various reasons I'd like to get something sorted asap. So do I play it cool or essentially say "I want this - tell me what you need to make it happen"?
Has anyone any advice on what has worked for them in the past?