80s Music Videos with Communist References?

I'm trying to compile a list of music videos from the 80s (early 90s is fine too) that reference communism, with, for example, use of hammer and sickle imagery, or the like. The more the direct the reference the better. Bonus points for synth-pop.

Examples include Bronski Beat's Beat Boy, Ultravox's White China, and Indochine's Les Tzars.
posted by matkline to Media & Arts (26 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

Pet Shop Boys, Go West
posted by Tom-B at 4:49 PM on April 27 [3 favorites]

Sting, Russians
It's not strong on the imagery though; the message mostly comes through the lyrics.
posted by fuse theorem at 4:55 PM on April 27

Killing Joke -Eighties
posted by KogeLiz at 4:57 PM on April 27

Anything by the Leningrad Cowboys
posted by Tom-B at 4:58 PM on April 27

Land of Confusion.
posted by clavicle at 4:58 PM on April 27 [1 favorite]

Scorpions - Wind of Change, literally about the fall of the USSR
posted by beisny at 5:11 PM on April 27

Eddy Huntington- U.S.S.R.

WARNING! The song is an earworm, the video manic and inane. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
posted by mynameisluka at 5:12 PM on April 27 [1 favorite]

Nikita, by Elton John (although I've always wondered why the video is set in East Berlin, since the eponymous heroine is Russian).
posted by yellowcandy at 5:21 PM on April 27

Shona Laing - Soviet Snow
posted by Sophont at 5:24 PM on April 27

China Girl by David Bowie has some communist imagery (such as the title character running around with a red flag).

Please clarify if things like Sting's Russians, which fuse theorem mentioned above, are acceptable or not (in that while the song has references to communism and/or communists, the actual video doesn't really have any communist imagery, at least not explicit imagery).
posted by Flunkie at 5:24 PM on April 27

"Bang" - Gorky Park. (The band was actually from the former USSR!)
posted by SisterHavana at 5:24 PM on April 27

Flunkie - I would prefer videos with communist imagery.
posted by matkline at 5:27 PM on April 27

Ronnie Talk to Russia — Sheree

Hammer and sickle at 0:59, 1:41, etc.
posted by John Cohen at 5:28 PM on April 27

This is a sort of weird mash-up of fan-vid and actual video , but you might find it interesting - Cui Jian performing A Piece of Red Cloth, which was actually one of the big musical artifacts of the Tiananmen protests in 1989.

It's not my favorite recording or even my favorite older Cui Jian song, but he is so talented and such a good guy, in my opinion, and he really had some skin in the game at the time.
posted by Frowner at 5:30 PM on April 27

Lawyers in Love, by Jackson Browne, just after the 3:00 mark has some, then continuing to the end of the video with lawyers marching in Red Square, or something. Billy Joel's video for Leningrad has a lot of film footage interspersed with him playing the piano and singing.
posted by MoonOrb at 5:36 PM on April 27

Not sure if a picture of a communist counts, but if so Billy Joel's We Didn't Start the Fire includes the iconic photo of the summary execution of Nguyễn Văn Lém.
posted by Flunkie at 5:56 PM on April 27

Also not sure if this counts, but Say You, Say Me by Lionel Richie includes Soviet police and/or military.
posted by Flunkie at 6:13 PM on April 27

I'm not 100% sure (due to the quality of the video), but I'm pretty sure that in David Lee Roth's cover of California Girls, during the part where he discusses northern girls, he's wearing a red star cap.
posted by Flunkie at 6:48 PM on April 27

C.C.C.P. - American Soviets

Now I need to find that old box of cassettes.
posted by humboldt32 at 7:28 PM on April 27

Cult of Personality by Living Colour features a shot of Stalin in uniform.
posted by Flunkie at 7:39 PM on April 27

"Crazy Train", by Ozzy Osbourne. The song makes reference to the Cold War and to "millions of people living as foes".
posted by alex1965 at 9:07 PM on April 27

I'm amazed that nobody has posted "Right Here, Right Now," by Jesus Jones.
posted by Mr. Justice at 9:27 AM on April 28

Sisters of Mercy - Mother Russia
posted by eviemath at 9:28 AM on April 28

« Older 9.5/10 times, I struggle with ...   |  Asking for a friend, because t... Newer »