April 21, 2014 5:01 PM Subscribe
I'm running my first marathon in a few months and need your advices!
posted by 3491again to Health & Fitness (14 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite
I'll be running my first marathon in a few months. I've run a half-marathon before and have been training for several months using the Hal Higdon method (but mostly fast walking, not running).
I believe that will be able to go the distance at a fast walking pace. I'm hoping I can meet the 6.5 hour maximum time, which is not at all a sure thing at this point. I also need some race day tips.
- How do I get my speed up so I know I can walk/run the whole thing fast enough to meet the maximum time limit?
- Are there any drawbacks to fast-walking rather than running? (Health-wise, etc.)
- Other tips for just finishing (I don't really care about speed at this point.)
Race day tips:
- Things to remember on race day/ carry with me (Should I wear a backpack? A fanny pack? Bring protein bars? Drink espresso that morning?)
- Anything else you think might help!
Thank you all!