What was the name of this fantasy novel from my childhood?
April 20, 2014 10:18 PM Subscribe
I am searching for the name of a fantasy novel from childhood, which has been calling to me lately in a way that may greatly inform my artwork. It has been fruitless to google, as I can only remember certain clues about its plotline and cover illustration. Help me, metafilter! The internet is great but some quandaries need humans. (Read extended explanation for the clues)
posted by kaspen to Media & Arts (7 answers total)
1. I read it when I was about 12-14 (1999-2001). I believe it was contemporary or recent (probably from the 90s). I believe it was part of a small series.
2. Main character was a teenage girl whose father was the leader of their forest tribe. The characters were white, probably set in a European-type wilderness (though this was never defined-- definitely a fantastical setting with no real history as far as place or date.)
3. Main plot involved the father (king of the tribe) teaching his daughter the ways of the warrior. This led her to defy traditional womanly roles. She left the tribe go off on her own adventures throughout the forest, and this is where most of the stories take place.
4. Cover illustration probably involved the main character looking tiny in scale amidst giant, old growth trees. Maybe on a bridge over a river. She was given weapons by her father, but had to craft some of her own clothing, leading her to wear skins and natural armor.
5. The name "Rowan" or "Rowena" MAY have been involved, it comes to mind, but I wouldn't want this to skew the answer in the wrong direction (I have already looked through many of the Rowan and Rowena-named novels out there and they aren't the one. It may be that a variation on this word was used as the name of a more insignificant part of the book.
I would be grateful for any help!!