Monitor options for this laptop with these ports?

What are the monitor expansion options for a laptop with these ports? images. I think I see mini-HDMI on the right hand side? And is that DisplayPort on the left?
posted by raspberry jam and clothes iron to Computers & Internet (8 answers total)

Ports from left to right: power, USB, mini-HDMI, ethernet (presumably with some kind of dongle,) microphone.
posted by contraption at 1:35 PM on April 19

That was dumb, I missed the second photo. The other side has something that doesn't look like any standard video connection I know, but the label suggests a monitor so I suspect it might accept a breakout dongle for VGA or DVI.
posted by contraption at 1:38 PM on April 19

You can physically connect any kind of screen to the mini-HDMI port with an appropriate adapter. The graphics card in your laptop will determine the maximum resolution you can support on that monitor.
posted by odinsdream at 1:39 PM on April 19

Thanks contraption. I actually thought that the weird port on the right side could be some sort of HDMI as well. In any case, it sounds like I've got at least mini-HDMI to work with...
posted by raspberry jam and clothes iron at 1:48 PM on April 19

If you do end up using an adaptor to go from HDMI to a non-HDMI format, chances are you'll lose the audio portion of the signal so keep in mind that you might need to run audio separately out of the headphone jack.
posted by contraption at 2:20 PM on April 19

Looks like this is a Samsung Series 9 which acording to the specs has a mini-vga port. I suggest going to the site and downloading the manual for future reference.
posted by Sophont at 2:27 PM on April 19

Contraption, that blue port on the second image might be usb3? I have a Usb3 video adapter. Haven't tried it yet, but looks promising.
posted by BenevolentActor at 10:57 PM on April 19

You can use most types of monitors theoretically. Just get an adapter that coverts whatever you have to the type of port the monitor you want has. edit: Just seeing now other people said that.
posted by AppleTurnover at 11:07 PM on April 19

« Older I am teaching myself to tattoo...   |  I am looking for some old-fash... Newer »