"...when we stop suffering like animals and start suffering like men"

I've been on the hunt for the original of a quote that seems to have become a leftist proverb. The quote is paraphrased in the following way: [Communism/Socialism/Utopia/Freedom] will be when we stop suffering like animals and start suffering like human beings. Does this ring a bell for anyone?

Searching various combinations of keywords, I've seen various attributions, none of which has an actual named text attached; my recollection is that the original speaker is somewhat more marginal in the Marxist or philosophical tradition, so probably not Lenin or Engels...

posted by gerryblog to Religion & Philosophy (2 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

That passage doesn't ring a bell, but it reminds me of Oscar Wilde's The Soul of Man under Socialism. Do you think something in there might be what you're thinking of?
posted by schroedingersgirl at 1:11 PM on April 18 [1 favorite]

I found this website that says it is accredited to H.G. Wells and the quote seems to be "It is time we stopped suffering like animals and learned to suffer like men."

But I don't know if it's from a book.
posted by NowYouKnow at 2:06 PM on April 18

« Older My brother is a senior in high...   |  20 3/4" (w) x 28" (h... Newer »