Third party liability insurance in Canada!

My girlfriend (who is from the US) is going to Canada to do a mural in a hotel and they require her to have 3rd party insurance/liability insurance. She is only going to be there for a week and she's only making $1000 for the project so she doesn't want to spend all her money on insurance. Do any of you know of a cheap and quick way to get temporarily insured in Canada?

posted by cloeburner to Work & Money (5 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Just a suggestion: she could research local or national artist's groups and see if there are any membership schemes that come with public liability insurance. (If she were British she would be able to do this through Artists Newsletter. The annual magazine subscription comes with PL insurance. For musicians and actors I think there are several similar schemes through their respective professional bodies.) So maybe there are comparable organisations in the US.
posted by glasseyes at 2:48 PM on April 17

Are you sure they said 3rd party liability insurance and not WCB coverage? I would be shocked if she weren't already covered by the hotel's own policy for this, and moreover how is she going to possibly hurt anyone else while painting on a wall? Does she have helpers? This doesn't make sense.
posted by HoteDoge at 8:08 PM on April 17

I would be shocked if she weren't already covered by the hotel's own policy for this, and moreover how is she going to possibly hurt anyone else while painting on a wall?

Ladders, dropped tools, skyjacks, solvent fires, slipping hazards, etc.
posted by sebastienbailard at 10:24 PM on April 17

Here's a random insurance broker that does flavors of insurance for artists. I'd get a quote from them and a few other brokers, perhaps checking a business directory.

Hub Insurance is the broker for the Ontario Crafts Council. They normally do one-year policies and stuff, but won't be rude in answering a query about a one-off gig.
posted by sebastienbailard at 10:32 PM on April 17

Thanks for your answers everyone! I've passed this thread on to her and I will update later on the path she chosen.
posted by cloeburner at 6:24 AM on April 18

« Older Moving is inevitable, the ques...   |  My wife and I have been saying... Newer »