Online language classes, Bay Area

CCSF offers online beginning Italian, but that's all I'm seeing. I am looking for beginner language classes in any language that is not English or French offered online through a California community college. Can you suggest any?

I am aware that online classes are not great ways to learn a language fluently; I am not trying to become fluent, just getting a basic reading comprehension in as many languages as possible. For an example of the level of understanding I'm seeking-- I'd like to be able to guesstimate what a random newspaper article is about, even if I can't get details without heavy use of Google Translate. Keeping up with an online class and the threat of failing a class (even if I don't need it for anything) is a reliable way for me to stay motivated and do the work.

I prefer courses for credit via California community colleges that are entirely online with no class meetings. I will consider do-it-yourself programs online if you can convince me; I will also consider Bay Area classes with one or two class meetings per semester.
posted by blnkfrnk to Education (3 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Have you tried searching California Virtual Campus? They list online and other programs for colleges across Cali. I used it extensively when I was trying to complete my degree in Cali some years back.

(There is also Assist if you want to know what's transferable between Cali colleges.)
posted by Michele in California at 1:47 PM on April 15

As a complement to your studies in the online classes you might want to try an occasional lesson or conversational practice with a tutor from www.italki.com I am not connected with Italki except being a customer, I've had lots of lessons and have noticed a big gain in my confidence speaking. The Colombian tutor who teaches me, due to the favourable exchange rates, only charges me £5/ $8 an hour which is apparently worth her while over there.
posted by AuroraSky at 2:00 PM on April 15 [1 favorite]

College of Alameda has conversational Japanese and several versions of Spanish. See www.ed2go.com/alameda.
posted by ktkt at 11:52 PM on April 15

« Older Yesterday I put up an unlocked...   |  Oh gardeners and florists and ... Newer »