A special novel?
April 11, 2014 9:30 AM Subscribe
A family friend is graduating from high school and I would like to give her a gift. She is going to study literature at university so I would like to get her a book. I'm looking for recommendations for something special. Details inside.
posted by sapien to Media & Arts (14 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
I'm looking for something that is a bit more special than your average novel. I'm obviously not willing to spend a small fortune and buy her a first edition or anything like that, but I want to pick out something memorable. I was thinking about something that would perhaps be influential to her as she goes into a new chapter of her life. Anything else that you think would be suitable for someone at that age and stage is great too.
Details about her reading habits -
- She seems to gravitate towards novels/writers/themes that are a little beyond her years but certainly still manageable reads. (Her words, not mine.)
- She tends to find new things to read by reading The New Yorker and listening to NPR.
- Some of her favourite novelists include Michael Chabon, Richard Ford, and Margaret Atwood.
- She also enjoys essay collections. Mainly reads David Sedaris and David Rakoff.
- She enjoys modern literature more than the classics. She'll read classics if it gets her the grades and that's about it.
The main thing here is that it's special. I want something that she will want to keep and treasure.
Thanks in advance.