Common wildflower identification, Europe

Hello, can anyone please tell me what this flower is called?

It's a low, spreading plant, mixed in with the daisies and dandelions all over the grass verges (in North Germany). I thought vetch but apparently not. Alternatively, does anyone know a comprehensive and easy to use wildflower guide for Europe? Most I've found seem to be lists, or basic. Thanks!
posted by runincircles to Science & Nature (5 answers total)

I was coming in to guess vetch, but the leaves aren't right. Could it be some type of wild geranium? I can't quite see the shape of the flower straight on from the photo. Here's a link to an interactive wildflower guide that might help.
posted by instamatic at 4:44 AM on April 9

Looks like common storksbill, as far as I can make out.
posted by Grunyon at 5:20 AM on April 9

Yes that is common stork's-bill (Erodium cicutarium). My yard is currently being taken over by it and cleavers (Galium aparine). They're both awful but I think I hate the stork's-bill more.
posted by elsietheeel at 5:43 AM on April 9

Brilliant! Thank you for the answers and the nice guide!
posted by runincircles at 6:43 AM on April 9

If you are in Germany for any length of time, and speak at least basic German, the essential book to have is Was blüht denn da? It's organised by colour and then flower shape. I found it very useful.
posted by Pallas Athena at 2:20 PM on April 9

« Older There's plenty of literature o...   |  Can you give an estimate of th... Newer »