How to make the arms--of the desk chair--stop wobbling?

How can I make my fancy-ass Herman Miller Ergon 3 (designed by Bill Stumpf) adjustable desk chair stop adjusting itself and twitching and wobbling and all?

I've got this great chair, but it's adjustable. Maybe that's a nice selling point when a chair is new and will be used by a lot of different people in a work-place, but this chair is older, used, and is used only by me. I adjust the arm height, the arm spread, etc, but then when I move around, the arms sort of click and wobble and ratchet up and down and back and forth annoyingly. I want them to be firm and rigid in one height and one position forever (as they are on the original Ergon, which is what I thought I was buying when I carelessly bought this one via eBay). I've tried shimming the arms with wood slivers but of course these pop right out in a day or two. I've thought about Super Glue and/or Liquid Nails but hesitate to do something so irreversible. Maybe I'll have to if you don't have a better idea. The height and back tension I want to remain adjustable. Please help! All suggestions welcome! Thanks very much.
posted by fivesavagepalms to Home & Garden (2 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Is there a way to screw it in place? That's more reversible than glue (though if I were gluing, I'd go with an epoxy over Super Glue) but more permanent than shims.

Or depending on the construct, you may be able to twist thin wire around non-physical-contact areas of the arms and chair and then use pliers to twist even more tension into the wire and hold the whole thing firmly together.
posted by vegartanipla at 9:52 AM on April 6

Split the difference - use Plastic Wood on the shims and they'll hold fast but you can pop them out with a knife or screwdriver if you change your mind.
posted by ostranenie at 5:40 PM on April 6

« Older The car my son drives (97 Mazd...   |  If you have failed at forming ... Newer »