dressy styles for a 60-something fashion-averse lady
April 4, 2014 5:56 PM Subscribe
I have a relative who needs to get dressed up for her kid's wedding. She's asked me for advice, and I'm not sure where to look. Snowflakes, people, there are so many snowflakes.
So my relative has terrible self-image/body image, has lived most of her life in second hand jeans and Birkenstocks, feels strange and masquerade-y in makeup. The only time I've seen her look comfortable in her skin was a brief period when she was a bit lighter than she is now (she still talked about wanting to lose more weight). Loooong standing weirdness around food, dieting, fatness, etc. Also no real interest in fashion. BUT she wants and needs to look dressy and be comfortable at an upcoming country (well, rural-ish) wedding for her child. She's in her 60's and has a pretty narrow window of approval for clothing, especially clothing that takes her out of her aforementioned jeans & sandals comfort zone. Here's the pie-in-the-sky list of what I'm looking for to better help her find something she'll be comfortable in:
1. online retailer from whom she can order and return with minimal hassle in Canada
2. natural fibers wherever possible
3. styles that are flattering and appropriate for a 60-something lady who is of a healthy weight for her height
4. no bold graphic prints (subtle is better).
5. clothing modeled on older women would be ideal.