Foldable, durable light shoes.

Hi AskMefi. I first noticed Timberland Radler Camp Shoe about 2 years ago. I finally decided to buy a pair and they are discontinued! Help me find an alternative!

I looked at amazon and ebay, and can't find anything my size (US 10.5-11) at a reasonable cost. Are there any similar shoes that are packable and light? The use case would be an alternate pair of shoes for travelling, a spare pair for hiking - to wear around camp. Thank you!

PS: If anyone knows why Timberland discontinued them, that would be interesting to know as well.
posted by aeighty to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (6 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

These won't work? They're pink but the listing says Men's 11 and only 27 bucks.
posted by jabes at 10:15 AM on April 3

I have the women's version of these. They are comfortable, lightweight, and squishable. On Monday, I hiked 8 miles on Santa Catalina Island and walked another 4 around downtown Long Beach with no issues. I did wear thin socks, but they aren't necessary in normal conditions.

They are not foldable like the Timberland's though - what a cool feature!
posted by jshort at 10:23 AM on April 3

Lems and Kigo shoes roll up. There's also these shoes called "Pakems," but I don't have any experience with them. There are lots of light trail shoes that can squish, but I've never seen ones that fold and zip up like those Timberlands!
posted by bluefly at 11:54 AM on April 3

I love my Vivo Barefoot sneakers -- I'm on my fourth or fifth pair. They're very light. They don't zipper up like those ones you link to to, but they wouldn't take much room in a bag.
posted by The corpse in the library at 1:03 PM on April 3

I use Nike Solarsoft Lakesides for my camp shoes. They don't fold in half, but the upper is just a piece of fabric, so they do store flat--maybe 1" of vertical space for both shoes together, and I just slip them in a side pocket on my pack so I can have them for breaks and keep the dirty soles away from my other stuff. They're about 8 oz. for the pair for men's size 9. Your size isn't on that page I linked, but perhaps you can find them somewhere else.
posted by BlooPen at 4:36 PM on April 3

Patagonia Advocates are amazing. I've had a pair for three years and wore them daily for months. They're expensive but you can find them cheap on ebay and 6pm occasionally.
posted by ghostpony at 10:03 AM on April 4

« Older I am a permanent resident of C...   |  I have a Mac (Mavericks) and i... Newer »