How best to get psychotherapy license with ineligible master's in psych?

If you have a master's degree in psychology with clinical experience - but which does not give a license to do mental health work - what is the fastest, easiest, and most inexpensive way to translate that to a license-eligible degree valid in New York? Is it best to get another degree and transfer credits, and if so which one? Or is there another way?
posted by shivohum to Education (4 answers total)

There are many institutes with training programs leading to licenses.
Here are a few (there are several others):
wsi.org
npap.org
www.cmps.edu
They are all competing for students!
posted by Obscure Reference at 6:22 PM on April 1 [3 favorites]

What makes your Masters ineligible? If you are simply missing some required classes you should be able to take those without having to do a whole degree program. Also...look at other licensing boards....Licensed Professional Counselor instead of Licensed Psychologist for example.
posted by MultiFaceted at 10:20 PM on April 1

If you decide to go the licensed counselor route in MY. I highly recommend the Marriage & Family track. 1) M&F counseling theories are awesome, 2) the way the experience hours count leads you to permanent licensure more quickly.
posted by vitabellosi at 10:02 AM on April 2

All excellent ideas, thanks. I've also discovered that the Department of Education can be contacted and asked about what deficiencies there are in a non-approved program and perhaps how to repair them. So I've done that via email. No idea how long they'll take to respond.

From Contact Info:

Education Credentials from Non-approved Programs

If you have questions about acceptable documentation to verify education completed outside the U.S. or in non-approved programs, contact:

NY State Education Department
Office of the Professions
Bureau of Comparative Education
89 Washington Avenue
Albany, New York 12234-1000
Phone: 518-474-3817, ext. 300
Fax: 518-486-2966
comped@mail.nysed.gov .
posted by shivohum at 6:05 AM on April 4

« Older I have this book and I love it...   |  Can I find an It's It ice crea... Newer »