Diet for H. pylori infection?

After losing 38lbs since January and suffering from various not so pleasing ailments I finally found out I have an H. Pylori infection. I will probably be starting on the standard treatment soon but is there anything I can do diet wise to help me along in my recovery?

After fighting with my doctor to take my sudden huge weight loss seriously and that it wasn't all in my mind nor something to be excited about as a fat woman I finally got results that I have this infection. In the last month I have really only been able to keep down water and the odd piece of fruit without experiencing huge stomach pain. I am actually pretty excited that I have this infection since now I know it isn't all in my head.

I have an appointment Wednesday to get a script to fight it which I imagine will be the standard course of antibiotics, etc.

As, hopefully, I am able to ease back into eating I am looking for foods that will help my recovery and foods to avoid. I am also a bit leery of the effects the antibiotics will have on my system as I have never been able to tolerate them well without gastric distress. Which, of course, I already have.

Is there a general guideline that has been proven to help.? Have you had it and found anything that helped personally?

Diet wise I admit that I don't have a good one usually as I really never learned to eat anything but the standard meat and two veg diet from youth. With a lot of sugar on top. I also smoke but am planning my hardest to quit. I have managed to cut out most caffeine (the odd decaf tea) and do drink a ton of water.

I also have a disability that prevents me from working so am unable to afford expensive food and not knowledgeable in most nutrition. I am unable to afford a nutrionist (need a referral by my doctor who is still too focused on a fat woman losing weight) but might have a possibility of a referral to a dietician depending if it is now applicable since I only managed it by my therapist thinking it may be psychological. I also do not have a great grasp on how to do basic cooking or the spoons most days to manage it.

Apologies if these restrictions make it harder to give advice but I wanted to give all the information possible as I really want to work with what I have in order to get my health back on track.
posted by kanata to Health & Fitness (3 answers total)

IANAD, but if you're worried about antibiotic-associated diarrhea, Saccharomyces boulardii and Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG are the main probiotic strains that actually have some evidence for preventing it. Not sure of the cost-benefit in your case (I think a course of S. boulardii can be found on Amazon for around $10).
posted by en forme de poire at 3:37 AM on April 1

Yeah, +1 S. boulardii. It's technically a yeast, not a bacteria, so you can take it at the same time as your antibiotic without losing efficacy, and it's protective against C. diff infection (the most gnarly of the antibiotic-associated diarrheal infections). Florastor is a popular and pricey name brand but there are plenty of generics.
posted by telegraph at 6:19 AM on April 1

When I had vicious ulcers and finally got the antibiotics for H. pylori....I found several lists of foods to eat and foods to avoid. Some were quite different, any given one was only half right for me. For example, milk and dairy should have been bad, but I drank almost nothing but milk. Ginger snaps are always a winner too.

Also, skip the nutritionist and stick with the dietician.
posted by K.P. at 5:40 PM on April 1

« Older This afternoon, I received a c...   |  My boss and I got along fairly... Newer »