Help me build a fitness routine/ Vex my current one!

Since the New Years I have been consistently running 2-3 miles a day, six days a week, at about 5-5.5 mph pace on average (I'm short at 5'2" and my strides are small!). I can feel that my body is getting acclimated, so I'd like to throw in strength training and HIIT in there. I'd like to lose 10 pounds of fat. I'd also like to keep my gym time to 30-45 min if possible. Help me build a plan?

Some additional info:
i'm a small woman, but I naturally get muscular very easily so I am not looking for a ton of weight lifting. Just a little bit to push my body and get toned. I also do about 10-15 min yoga every morning but that's mostly just for stretching. I do really, really like running...and would like to run a 5k before October. Right now I throw in a few sprints in my daily run, but would also like to at some point do some longer runs too.

Based on a lot of confusing stuff I read I guess-timated this plan below. Tell me if I'm totally off track! Give me suggestions! What are some actually useful websites that are not just trying to sell me things?

Day 1: HIIT on stationary bike 30 min, arms shoulders and back 15 min
Day 2: easy run 2 miles, core 15 min
Day 3: normal run 3 miles
Day 4-6 repeat
Day 7 rest.

What do you think? Anything else i should throw in there?
posted by redwaterman to Health & Fitness (4 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

If you can run 3 miles, now, you could go out and do a 5k race. You would likely end up at the faster end of your pace because race day is magic. If you are worried about being last (you won't be) then look up last year's results. If you just want to be faster, there are a couple of go to solutions:

- Gradually lengthen one of the runs. Don't increase your mileage by more than 10% over the week. That means if you are running 10 miles per week right now, that longer run should only increase to 4 miles, i.e. a 1 mile increase.

- For more intense training, try to either find a hill and do hill repeats or pick a hilly route. Hills will strengthen your push-off and lengthen the fly phase of your stride (the part where you are off the ground). The best distance runners are on the short side, it's more efficient (there goes that excuse).

For weights, I do a full body workout, twice a week, using exercises from a template on exrx.net. I lift as heavy as I can, but no one is going to bulk up on that much lifting.

For the 10lbs, track calories.
posted by TORunner at 5:23 AM on March 29

If you like running the best running training program I have found is Run Less, Run Faster: It has programs for every distance that are based around 3 running sessions (one long run, one "tempo run" one session of track running) and 2 other workouts a week, and was developed by a University health department who ran studies showing that following their program improved performance across a whole range of abilities. You could follow it and do HIIT and their suggested strength training on the 2 "other workout" days.
posted by Another Fine Product From The Nonsense Factory at 7:20 AM on March 29 [2 favorites]

Are you running on a treadmill? Just asking because you mention time at the gym and measuring your speed in MPH, which is kind of a treadmill thing in my experience. If you're running outside, feel free to ignore me, but:

If you want to become a better runner, start running outside. I am also 5'2" and I feel your pain re: short strides, but you can and will be able to pick up the pace if you incorporate hills and longer distances into your runs.

Also, have you considered swimming? If your gym has a pool, swimming is a great full body workout. I also find it to be incredibly meditative and relaxing, even more so than running.

I'd like to lose 10 pounds of fat.

I hate for this to become my Ask.Metafilter catchphrase, but: Abs are made in the kitchen. Track calories.
posted by ablazingsaddle at 12:30 AM on March 30

Oh, and I've always found it a lot easier to increase time than to increase distance with running. For example, if you're used to running thirty minutes, kick it up to thirty-five.
posted by ablazingsaddle at 12:38 AM on March 30

« Older How to replace the hated handl...   |  I want to get fit because it w... Newer »