Identify old guitar

Hello , can you please help me finding out more about this old guitar. I think it might be a Jazz guitar, my grandpa bought it second hand around 1958. If you read closely on the neck it says "Trademark Clove" and something else unreadable. Here is a couple of images: Guitar 1 Guitar 2 Guitar 3 Guitar 4 It is still playable and sounds good to.
posted by mr_rg to Media & Arts (11 answers total)

It's "Clou", not "Clove".
I found this thread from 2010 asking about a very similar guitar. Not much else comes up about this brand, I'm afraid.
posted by Thorzdad at 9:55 AM on March 28

That's "Trademark Clou". This one looks similar, but I'm finding precious little else so far. Interesting, though.
posted by Decani at 9:56 AM on March 28

Ha! I think that's a "Snap" moment, Thorzdad!
posted by Decani at 9:56 AM on March 28 [1 favorite]

You are right it is probably Clou! Thorzdad I can not open that thread ?
posted by mr_rg at 10:11 AM on March 28

Thorzdad ok now the link worked.. I wonder If it might be from Germany, my grandpa bought it in Sweden and that is close.
posted by mr_rg at 10:20 AM on March 28

Try asking here.
posted by cribcage at 10:51 AM on March 28

Definitely no later than the mid-50s, before rock 'n' roll all but killed the jazz archtop guitar market, but could be a little older than that. The binding around the neck is shrinking, which was typical for celluloid. But the pickguard seems to be in good shape, so it might be a replacement. No visible top cracks, which is good. Don't let it get too dry and it should stay that way.

It would likely have been strung with heavy strings, like .013s, but should have no trouble with .010s.

One possible issue is the neck, which may or may not have a truss rod (and definitely not an adjustable one). If you experience buzzing strings you'll need a neck reset, which requires a luthier. Jazz rhythm guitarists tended to use heavy strings with a high action so they could really whomp on things to get maximum volume so it might need some work for more restrained styles.

If you're wondering about value, you might want to contact Gruhn Guitars. George Gruhn wrote the book on guitar values, he might have some idea of value and history.
posted by tommasz at 10:55 AM on March 28 [1 favorite]

The pickguard has shrinking to, but the picture does not show it. And I can not make a new picture since it's been renovated and replaced. Yes I think I'm lucky that it has no cracks, It's 0.010s on there now maybe I should change them. Thank you all for all for helping me.
posted by mr_rg at 11:30 AM on March 28

By the way, the word clou means nail in French, like a nail you use in carpentry, not the one on your finger. I wonder if it was made in France.
posted by mareli at 12:06 PM on March 28

blob yes the Clous are starting to lead to a guitar made in Germany for export. Also looked up Clou in German language apparently means showstopper or chief-attraction.. I have mailed Gruhn Guitars and asked for information I am waiting for a response thanks for the tip tommasz.
posted by mr_rg at 6:24 PM on March 28

« Older Asking for my company: Is ther...   |  I am going in for an interview... Newer »