How do I only allow BitTorrent downloads when my Mac is at home?

I would like Transmission, my OS X BitTorrent client, to only download and upload torrents when I'm on my home Wi-Fi network, and to stop all activity automatically when I'm not on this network. How can I achieve this? I'm open to using different software if need be.
posted by Richard Holden to Computers & Internet (9 answers total)

ControlPlane might be a starting point. It'll allegedly let you do something when the wifi network changes.

There are a couple scripts here that purport to pause and resume Transmission, so in theory a guy could use ControlPlane to pause Transmission on Wifi change if you're not at home and resume if you are at home, but that wouldn't prevent torrents from running if you started them inadvertently.

Maybe configure the firewall to prevent it, then bring it up when you are on another network?
posted by chazlarson at 1:54 PM on March 27 [2 favorites]

This may be a stupid question, but why are you running it when you're not at home? Can't you just kill the program, and start it again once you return?
posted by Chocolate Pickle at 1:56 PM on March 27

Here's another thing that claims to give you a hook into this event: EventScripts
posted by chazlarson at 1:57 PM on March 27

Why are you running it when you're not at home? Can't you just kill the program, and start it again once you return?

I can, and do! I just thought I'd like a way for this to take care of itself. Also because I have TV Shows running in the background it could always be started up again after that if a new show is found.
posted by Richard Holden at 2:00 PM on March 27

Seconding the suggestion of ControlPlane. I've used ControlPlane to make some automatic config changes (changing firewall permeability) depending on what network I'm on. It works well.
posted by Good Brain at 2:27 PM on March 27

ControlPlane looks great. Thanks! The firewall only blocks incoming connections though - if a torrent is seeding, won't outgoing connections need to be blocked too?
posted by Richard Holden at 3:11 PM on March 27

you're misunderstanding what incoming and outgoing connections mean in this sense.

blocking incoming connections will prevent seeding, outgoing connections are you downloading stuff. It'll stop you from uploading at all.

OSX desperately needs something like what windows has had since vista, with the "home" "work" and "public" network options on the firewall that do exactly this kind of stuff totally seamlessly. It's one of the few really clever things in windows i miss on my mac.

If you want another app to poke around with, i distinctly remember little snitch letting you set things along the lines of "block on all networks except for the one with this name". Seems fine though, since what you're looking for is really a whitelist, not a blacklist.
posted by emptythought at 3:32 PM on March 27

It is called "Locations" and it is available from the System Preferences > Network applet. I think it has been there for some years, now.
posted by Blazecock Pileon at 6:33 PM on March 27

Keyboard Maestro can also perform actions based on Wi-Fi network (along with a bunch of other stuff).
posted by brentajones at 7:50 AM on March 28 [1 favorite]

« Older So the hot water pipe leading ...   |  You have a personal project, a... Newer »