Where to buy small pieces of art in Barcelona (under $50)?

Due to a scheduling change on a work trip, I will be spending tomorrow in Barcelona with nothing to do. I would love to buy a small piece of local art to fit into my carry-on for my SO. Nothing bigger than a single shoe (my carry-on is already pretty full) or more than $50?
posted by Spurious to Travel & Transportation around Barcelona, Spain (5 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

The Gothic quarter, in the south of the centre, is full of art shops of all kinds. It's also the oldest part of town and really pretty to visit, so you'll join the useful to the agreeable.
posted by Spanner Nic at 10:35 AM on March 27

Here's the website for the gift store at La Pedrera/Casa Mila.

When I was there, I bought a small print of an artist's rendition of the building at night. Carried it home in a little tube and it's now one of my favorite prints hanging in my bedroom.
posted by Squeak Attack at 10:45 AM on March 27

To build on Spanner Nic's recommendation, wander on La Rambla. The south-most part of it is usually full of local artists selling their wares.
posted by chainsofreedom at 12:39 PM on March 27

Try finding some hand-painted folding fans (abanicos). They come in modern or traditional styles, they're useful in the summer (or you can use them for decoration), and they're lightweight. You'll see some in the stands at Las Ramblas for sure.
posted by sukeban at 1:55 PM on March 27

*Please note that Las Ramblas and the Gothic Quarter are very touristy spots and therefore there are many pickpockets. Keep an eye on your belongings.
posted by sukeban at 2:01 PM on March 27

« Older When I encounter a problem tha...   |  Shoe fashionistas of MeFi: how... Newer »