Gay Anniversary Gifts

What is appropriate for a same sex first anniversary gift?

A couple of days ago, there was a post about anniversary gifts. But what about same sex couples? It is my first anniversary, and I don't know what to get my partner.

Is the traditional paper or modern clocks appropriate, or is there something more appropriate for a same sex couple?
posted by benjh to Human Relations (12 answers total)

As long as the paper or clock had a rainbow on it, I don't see the problem.

Why would a same sex couple be any different than a straight couple?
posted by ThePinkSuperhero at 9:42 AM on October 22, 2005 [1 favorite]

A lifetime subscription to "Inches"?

I'm with ThePinkSuperhero, what is the real question here?
posted by ColdChef at 10:32 AM on October 22, 2005

A different way of asking would be "Should a non-traditional couple give traditional anniversary gifts?" which, you know, is entirely up to the couple.

I will say, though, for my first anniversary, I printed all the photos from our wedding and honeymoon and put them in an album for her. Because, you know...paper.

She told me later, she'd have preferred cash.
posted by ColdChef at 10:35 AM on October 22, 2005

The most appropriate gift is something that will make your partner happy. If it would make your partner happy to receive a traditional gift and so claim a measure of "normality," do that. If your partner would be insulted by receiving the same sort of gift that breeders do, get something else, or even something that strikes a claim of difference from straights. Most importantly, get him something he'd enjoy having irrespective of tradition or anti-traditional feelings.
posted by ROU_Xenophobe at 10:42 AM on October 22, 2005

I'd give him something he really really wants--do people actually follow those ancient anniversary things anymore anyway?
posted by amberglow at 11:03 AM on October 22, 2005

An iPod is always appropriate.
posted by Faint of Butt at 12:00 PM on October 22, 2005

An iPod is always appropriate.

That is what he got for his birthday.
posted by benjh at 12:04 PM on October 22, 2005

I'm sure that a lot of things would work just fine for anyone, but there is, in fact, a culture of heterosexuality with a long tradition and specific cultural markers which gay folks might not want to participate in. That heterosexual culture isn't always friendly to gays, and some might not want to carry on traditions like the silver, gold, diamond jubilee, getting married in a church by a priest, whatever, etc. It's a personal preference, though. Other gays might want to stick to those traditions as much as possible to show that anyone can own them, not just heteros. It depends on who you're talking about.

So benjh - is your partner more traditional or more iconoclastic?
posted by scarabic at 12:39 PM on October 22, 2005

Give 3 dollar bills?

Give them a "gay" gift?

...or treat them like other human beings?
posted by jpburns at 12:42 PM on October 22, 2005

Scissors, since they trump paper?

Cutely symbolic; perhaps not all that romantic. But maybe you could work them in somehow to show that you get the tradition, and are playing off it.
posted by occhiblu at 4:03 PM on October 22, 2005

I'm supposed to get my partner a gift? But we are two GUYS! Guys don't care about gifts... shit.
posted by dhammala at 9:39 PM on October 22, 2005

That is what he got for his birthday.

That's why they keep coming out with new ones. Surely his does not play video. ;)
posted by trevyn at 12:15 AM on October 23, 2005

« Older When did the European explorer...   |  Is there a product that will n... Newer »