What's the quickest/easiest way to get audiobooks from a CD to iphone 4?

I can rip the audiobooks from the compact disc to itunes quite easily, but the problem is if they are just added to my phone under the music icon, it won't save my place in the book. What is the easiest and fastest way to make this happen. I am willing to download apps that cost $ if necessary.
posted by skjønn to Technology (5 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Rip from compact disc to iTunes. Select all downloaded files and right-click in iTunes. Click on Get Info and select Options tab. Select "Audiobook" in Media Kind, and select "Yes" in Remember Position.

You might also want to select "Yes" for Skip When Shuffling.
posted by The Architect at 8:45 PM on March 24 [10 favorites]

The Audiobook Builder app will convert a bunch of ripped mp3's into proper bookmarkable audiobook files -- it's five bucks.
posted by blueberry at 10:11 PM on March 24

MP3 to iPod Audiobook Converter has always worked for me. I have had issues with books longer than 12 hours or so, but that seems to be a function of the M4B format (or Apple's implementation of it?), rather than the converter. At any rate, I recommend breaking longer books into <12 hour parts.
posted by jmfitch at 5:26 AM on March 25

You don't need to pay for an application or convert the files. iTunes can handle bookmarks in mp3s just fine, as evidenced by the fact that podcasts downloaded in iTunes are often mp3s and not m4bs. Just change the settings in Get Info like The Architect suggested.
posted by bcwinters at 5:58 AM on March 25 [1 favorite]

Or rip them with iTunes as .m4a files, find them on disk, and rename them to .m4b files. IIRC, iTunes automatically treats .m4b as audiobooks.
posted by jferg at 6:04 AM on March 25 [1 favorite]

« Older Was in awful car accident yest...   |  What resources might be recomm... Newer »