Identify a movie quote from a movie I've never seen.

A friend of mine loves to say dramatically and hilariously, "Santa Maria, dame la paz. La paz!" He says it's a quote from a movie, but he has no idea which one and remembers nothing about it. I think the movie is most likely in English, because this phrase is the only Spanish my friend knows. Googling doesn't work because "Santa Maria de la Paz" is a thing.
posted by Bentobox Humperdinck to Media & Arts (5 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Not quite the same, but Blazing Saddles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4634QwiPBs
posted by UncleBoomee at 6:17 PM on March 24

Could it be Santa Maria della Pace?
posted by zippy at 6:46 PM on March 24

The tone he uses is similar to that Blazing Saddles clip, so that might be it. Could "dame la paz" be from a different movie?
posted by Bentobox Humperdinck at 8:50 PM on March 24

In case you didn't already know, the phrase translates to "Saint Maria, give me (the) peace. (The) Peace!"

Is there a chance he was flipping channels and caught a telenovela or some other dramatic Spanish program/movie?
posted by filthy light thief at 10:32 AM on March 25

zippy - that's not it.

filthy light thief - it could be something like that.

Still hoping that someone might recognize the whole quote, or the rest of the quote, and be able to put it in context.
posted by Bentobox Humperdinck at 5:24 PM on April 24

« Older In a few months I will be movi...   |  A conversation is in progress.... Newer »