Best practices for buying porn online

I would like to reform my porn consumption habits, shut down my torrent client, and start paying for what I view. However, I'm worried about getting stuck with recurring charges. Are there best practices for getting single-charge subscriptions to adult websites and ensuring that I only get charged once?

Obviously I need to read the details of the subscription offers carefully. But is there anything I should do beyond that? Should I segregate my pornography subscriptions to one credit card that I use for that and only that? Is there some credit card mechanism that will allow me to generate a one-time-use number that can't be used for recurring purchases? Is there some other approach I should take?

I really want to start pay the producers and performers for their work, but I don't want to get screwed.
posted by The Grand Old Duke of York to Work & Money (4 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

Is there some credit card mechanism that will allow me to generate a one-time-use number that can't be used for recurring purchases?

http://lifehacker.com/5831160/use-virtual-credit-card-numbers-to-shop-safely-online-keeping-in-mind-the-downsides
posted by Bentobox Humperdinck at 1:51 PM on March 21

Maybe small amount pre-paid credit cards?

Also Chase has something called a Single-Use Account that sounds like it's right up your alley.

Paypal might also offer some flexible paying methods but they've been hit or miss with the porn producers I've known. And in general there can be some trouble with transaction processing for porn producers - a lot of point of sale services won't work with the adult industry at all.

Also, to allay your worries a little, I had a short 2 or 3 month subscription with Reality Kings a few years back and it was trivial to cancel. They really didn't seem at all interested in cultivating bad blood.
posted by kalessin at 1:52 PM on March 21

If you have a Target nearby, I would recommend those $100 Target Visa GIFT CARDS. They are prepaid debit cards (16 digit number plus CV2 code) and we use them on any online or phone transaction that seems a bit dodgy. When the balance is existed, the card just dies and no further transactions will go through. That way the most we stand to lose is $100. Note that there is a $6 activation fee but no monthly charge or other hidden costs. The expiration date for the card is usually seven or eight years in the future.
posted by 99percentfake at 1:57 PM on March 21 [3 favorites]

There are quite a few sites that take bitcoin these days - the best way to get bitcoin will depend on your geography; then you pay your subscription in advance. it is the closest thing to a fungible electronic cash and no personal information is exchanged with the porn site. Thank you for supporting the creators of your porn :)
posted by Mistress at 3:13 PM on March 21 [1 favorite]

« Older Recommendations for laser prin...   |  Preferably ones that are of de... Newer »