BarBri v. Kaplan - 2014 Edition
March 20, 2014 7:58 PM Subscribe
Which prep class should I take for the July Minnesota bar?
posted by sparklemotion to Education (18 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
Until today, I was pretty comfortable in my decision to take Kaplan's Bar Review course instead of Barbri, because:
- It was cheaper.
- I liked the look of their website (from the demo given by the on campus rep) better than what I saw of Barbri when I took their MPRE course.
- I wouldn't mind doing my part to shake up Barbri's monopoly on scared 3Ls.
Two and three were not entirely persuasive, but when combined with one, they helped seal my decision...until today when I successfully negotiated my way out of paying for my own bar prep class.
Now I'm wondering if I'll feel like a chump for not going for the "proven" option, especially since my reasons for bucking the trend amount to stubborn principles and an appreciation for good web design.
Possibly relevant facts:
- Minnesota is a UBE state now.
- I have no interest in attending "lectures", I'd much rather watch the videos at home on my own time (at 1.5x speed). I have verified that both Barbri and Kaplan allow me to do that.
- I have heard terrible things about the Barbri lecturers (I expected better of you, Erwin Chemerinsky), but nothing about the Kaplan ones.
- I intend to do lots of practice questions, both multiple choice and essay.
- Themis is an option in MN but not an option for me because I have heard bad things about it from people that I trust.
- I was never quite crazy enough to self-study, and now that money is no option I will definitely be purchasing a course.
- The bar passage rate for my law school is >90%. I am not in the bottom 10% of my class.
Googling for bar prep course reviews hasn't really helped because forums seem to either be filled with shills or people who say "just take barbri -- why take the risk"?
I've seen a number of previouslies
, but I'm curious is anyone has more recent experience that they can share.