Calling all cross-stitchers of MeFi!
March 17, 2014 5:21 PM Subscribe
I am about to begin a very large, very exciting cross-stitch project! I have only done small projects in the past, and I need some guidance in several areas.
posted by sevensnowflakes to Media & Arts (14 answers total) 18 users marked this as a favorite
I've decided to cross-stitch some of my favorite pieces of art! I used MacStitch to create charts from high-res photos of the pieces, but I have a few questions. In the past, I've completed small projects, but they came exclusively from all-in-one kits, where all tools were included. The pieces I've charted will be quite large - in the neighborhood of 25in x 18in-ish. (The largest chart is 28 printed 8.5x11in pages.) Help! Here's what I think I need to know:
1. What sort of hoop or hoop-like contraption should I purchase to hold the cloth taut?
2. Where are the best affordable sources to purchase lots of different colors of thread? I'll be using DMC.
3. Tips on organizing a lot of thread would be great. In the past, I've punched holes out of pieces of cardboard and looped each color individually. Is there a better way?
4. I have no idea whether I need to incorporate half-, quarter-, three-quarter-, or back-stitches into my charts. Should I worry about this?
5. I'm planning to use 14-count Aida cloth. What should I know about buying it? Cutting it?
I know there are probably lots of things I am not thinking about, as I've never attempted a from-scratch project like this before. Any and all words of wisdom/general tips would be greatly appreciated!