App for adding highlights/notes to articles on my iPad/smartphone

I am looking for an app that allows me to add highlights and notes to articles I have saved to 'read later' on my iPad and/or smartphone.

I use Pocket to save articles, and it works very well, but there is currently no way to add highlights and notes. I have tried using Evernote to highlight text, but it doesn't really suit this task. It ends up feeling like you are editing a document - a clunky solution to a simple problem. I read a lot of PDFs and there are a plethora of great apps for saving these in Dropbox and adding and saving notes on a tablet/smartphone. I ideally want some of the functionality of an app like PDF Expert, but for articles I have saved in Pocket.

I read a lot of stuff on my ipad and phone, having saved them in my browser previously. The addition of a highlighting feature that works across all three platforms (a single app) would be amazing.

(I use an ipad and also have an android phone, so both platforms need to be covered)

Any suggestions/solutions? Thanks
posted by 0bvious to Computers & Internet (2 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

I use Pocket's competitors—Readability and Instapaper—and tragically neither offer highlighting or notes anchored to text. Wish I had a better answer, but at least I can prevent you from investigated dead ends.
posted by Jesse the K at 5:15 PM on March 16

For anyone interested, a pretty good answer to this question came up at Quora. Not perfect, but... anyone else have anything better?
posted by 0bvious at 11:59 AM on March 17

« Older I lost my wallet. Other than c...   |  Hi Guys, I don't currentl... Newer »