Please help me identify these gross things on my garage walls.

I need help identifying these gross things that have appeared on my garage walls in the last week or so. They are grayish-brown, each about the size of a piece of orzo, and are stuck to the walls in my garage. I can spot about a dozen of them around the garage, but I don't know how many more might be hidden behind boxes, etc. I suspect it is some sort of poop or some sort of egg sac, both things that completely gross me out. The shape is pretty unique to all of them. I live in Southern California, with temps over the last few months ranging between 55 and 85F. Anyone have an idea what these might be? Pic inside.

Here's the pic: http://tinypic.com/r/8z4tax/8
posted by emily37 to Home & Garden (6 answers total)

Household Casebearer maybe?
Or a Plaster Bagworm.

Googling those two names seem to come up with a lot of the same images so maybe they are just regional names for the same thing.
posted by Beti at 5:49 PM on March 15 [1 favorite]

Angeleno here. Yeah, they're sorta cocoonish sacs where a particular type of small moth lives before it emerges. Gross but not dangerous, I think. An exterminator told me what they are once, but I forgot the name.
posted by BlahLaLa at 5:49 PM on March 15 [1 favorite]

This particular subreddit is very good at this game: What's This Bug?
posted by batmonkey at 6:18 PM on March 15

...In fact, I think they may have already done the job for someone in FL!
posted by batmonkey at 6:20 PM on March 15 [2 favorites]

If you think it's gross now, just wait until a little worm pops out the end and starts inching along, dragging the whole coccoon around behind it.
posted by contraption at 11:16 PM on March 15 [2 favorites]

Yeah, those are moth cocoons. We don't get them in those quantities though, so when I see them I just squish them with a tissue. With that volume, you could try vacuuming them up before you go the exterminator route. They aren't dangerous in any way, just sort of a nuisance.
posted by vignettist at 8:48 PM on March 16

« Older Is there a particularly good h...   |  Chronic back pain every night ... Newer »