Please help me identify these gross things on my garage walls.

I need help identifying these gross things that have appeared on my garage walls in the last week or so. They are grayish-brown, each about the size of a piece of orzo, and are stuck to the walls in my garage. I can spot about a dozen of them around the garage, but I don't know how many more might be hidden behind boxes, etc. I suspect it is some sort of poop or some sort of egg sac, both things that completely gross me out. The shape is pretty unique to all of them. I live in Southern California, with temps over the last few months ranging between 55 and 85F. Anyone have an idea what these might be? Pic inside.
posted by emily37 to Home & Garden (6 answers total)

Household Casebearer maybe?
Or a Plaster Bagworm.

Googling those two names seem to come up with a lot of the same images so maybe they are just regional names for the same thing.
posted by Beti at 5:49 PM on March 15 [1 favorite]

Angeleno here. Yeah, they're sorta cocoonish sacs where a particular type of small moth lives before it emerges. Gross but not dangerous, I think. An exterminator told me what they are once, but I forgot the name.
posted by BlahLaLa at 5:49 PM on March 15 [1 favorite]

This particular subreddit is very good at this game: What's This Bug?
posted by batmonkey at 6:18 PM on March 15

...In fact, I think they may have already done the job for someone in FL!
posted by batmonkey at 6:20 PM on March 15 [1 favorite]

Yeah, those are moth cocoons. We don't get them in those quantities though, so when I see them I just squish them with a tissue. With that volume, you could try vacuuming them up before you go the exterminator route. They aren't dangerous in any way, just sort of a nuisance.
posted by vignettist at 8:48 PM on March 16

« Older Is there a particularly good h...   |  Chronic back pain every night ... Newer »