Trustworthy sources to buy Frontline for dogs on the Internet?

This question is for all the great dog owners out there on metafilter. I need to buy Frontline for my dog, but I've read lots of scary stuff about people buying fake and counterfeit frontline when they try to get it through Amazon or other online sources. I know I can just get it thru my vet, but first I thought I would check and see if there -is- a trustworthy source to get it (relatively) cheap online. So, who if anyone sells the real stuff cheap on the internet? (Shipped to the US) Thanks!
posted by skjønn to Pets & Animals (13 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

I haven't found any way to buy it from a trustworthy + cheap source. The only thing that makes it a little cheaper is buying a larger quantity. Pisses me off every time, but I do it.
posted by BlahLaLa at 6:58 PM on March 13 [1 favorite]

Try buying the Kirkland brand from Costco - since it is their own private label brand, I would trust it to be as advertised.
posted by metahawk at 6:59 PM on March 13 [1 favorite]

You can buy Frontline or the Kirkland brand straight from Costco.com. We've used the Costco brand with no complaints.
posted by jeffch at 7:11 PM on March 13

Kirkland brand flea & tick does not have the same active ingredients as Frontline. The last time I researched it, it's active ingredients seem to make it equivalent to Bio Spot Spot On. I did some research into Spot On and what I read made me feel uncomfortable (though it's _really_ hard to evaluate the quality of the sources who write about this kind of stuff... scare tactics all over, and don't you love your dog enough to spend the extra $$?!). I mean, on the one hand, Kirkland Brand stuff is generally pretty good, and I trust it to be what it says it is, but if what it says it is is bad for my dog, Costco can't protect me from that.

That being said, Actual Frontline is relatively inexpensive from Costco, but I actually order it from Amazon. The trick is to search for "prime eligible", and then only buy from the sources that say "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com". Prime eligible vendors that are "fulfilled by amazon" are just 3rd party vendors who store their (possibly dodgy) goods in Amazon's warehouses for picking. I trust Amazon themselves to have reliable merchandise.
posted by sparklemotion at 7:12 PM on March 13 [4 favorites]

My vet price matches all meds you can find on the internet specifically so that people will buy through them rather than unverified web sources. You might want to ask your vet if they'll do the same, otherwise I don't think you can guarantee you're getting a quality product.
posted by shornco at 7:32 PM on March 13 [1 favorite]

I've brought from www.vetmeds4pets.co.uk a half dozen times over the past 3 years and haven't noticed any issues with the product I've received. My pets haven't been negatively affected and we haven't had fleas, so I plan to continue to purchase from them.
posted by made of felt and string and foam at 7:38 PM on March 13 [1 favorite]

I buy it from Dr. Fosters and Smith. They are a legitimate veterinary pharmacy (they have a retail store in Wisconsin) and the prices are a bit cheaper vs getting them from our vet, plus the convenience of delivering to my door.
posted by muddgirl at 7:38 PM on March 13 [1 favorite]

I also have bought from Fosters and Smith.
posted by medusa at 8:56 PM on March 13 [1 favorite]

I bought Frontline for my kitty from 1800petmeds. Legit medicine and cheaper than I could find elsewhere.
posted by birdherder at 9:18 PM on March 13 [1 favorite]

FWIW, we used the Kirkland brand flea and tick stuff on my cat, who is 17 years old and pretty frail, and he was fine. Still crawling with fleas -- the product seemed to be totally ineffective -- but it didn't hurt him.
posted by KathrynT at 10:54 PM on March 13 [1 favorite]

I can't vouch for "cheap" but this is the list of online pet pharmacies approved by the National Association of Boards of Pharmacies so they hit "trustworthy"
posted by magnetsphere at 6:39 AM on March 14

Just adding that the Kirkland brand did not work for our dog either. We tried to like it because it was cheaper, but we went back to Frontline, purchased at Costco.
posted by molasses at 8:13 AM on March 14

Take a look at the kirkland reviews on amazon (1 star overall). I actually just took the kirkland brand stuff I bought back and changed it out for frontline plus. But costco sells that too. I bought the extra large dog size, transferred it into a bottle, and use a syringe to measure it out.
posted by zug at 11:31 AM on March 14

« Older What is the 80s or 90s pop son...   |  I'm getting a new external har... Newer »