Making the bottoms of my pastries crispy with a silicon muffin tray?

My SO doesn't cook and I travel a lot for work, so before each trip I typically make a week's worth of "breakfast cupcakes" (kinda like this but vegetarian) so she can have some homemade food while I'm away. The shell is store-bought puff pastry. I recently bought a silicone muffin tray, which I place on a cookie tray in the oven. It works wonderfully, except that even after 50 minutes at 350F bottoms of the "cupcakes" are barely cooked, certainly not puffy and not browned. The rest of the pastry is cooked to perfection. Any suggestions on how to make the bottoms of the pastries crispier and more cooked?
posted by Spurious to Food & Drink (9 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

take them out of the silicone tray for the last 5-10 minutes of cooking time - basically, once they have enough structural integrity to hold the shape on their own, you don't need the muffin tray.
posted by missmagenta at 6:43 AM on March 10 [3 favorites]

I'd just switch to a metal muffin tin. Silicone is a lousy conductor of heat.
posted by jon1270 at 6:52 AM on March 10 [5 favorites]

Yeah I would second a metal muffin tin, the big downside of silicone is it doesn't brown well.
posted by SoftRain at 6:58 AM on March 10

If you're concerned about sticking with metal you can use parchment paper liners, or just cut some squares. You can even brush the parchment with a tiny bit of butter or oil and it will crisp up even more than usual.
posted by Room 641-A at 7:08 AM on March 10

Parchment paper liners in a metal tin. Silicone is just no good for pastries.
posted by valkyryn at 7:48 AM on March 10 [1 favorite]

I just experienced this for the first time yesterday at whole foods when I ate a very delicious emergency chocolate muffin. The parchment square was sooooo much better than a cupcake liner. It pulls off so effortlessly and gives you a little psuedo plate to eat it off of. Wonderful! I will cook all the muffins this way in the future.
posted by srboisvert at 9:19 AM on March 10

Alternatively you could start with a higher temp and bring it down after 10 min.
posted by Violet Femme at 10:20 AM on March 10

Puff pastry is pretty non-sticky as a rule - basically it's self-greasing. You probably won't even need the liners in a metal pan.
posted by mskyle at 10:46 AM on March 10

Try using the silicone pan without the cookie sheet. I've had the same problem and fixed it that way.
posted by Requiax at 10:56 AM on March 10

« Older Despite the several inches of ...   |  Somewhere between 20 and 30 ye... Newer »