Spring break plans cancelled - now seeking alternatives
March 8, 2014 7:43 PM Subscribe
My spring break runs effectively from March 14th to the 23rd. Originally I had plans to head to NYC for a couple of days and then to Delaware, spending the whole week with a good friend of mine. He will now be out of the country, so I'm flying solo and looking for something different. I should work two days in between, but I can make up the hours if needed. Details inside include what I [think I] am looking for ideally.
posted by Urban Winter to Travel & Transportation (4 answers total)
- I am capable of dropping a bit of money on this vacation, but at the core I'm a poor college student, so I need to travel as cheaply as I possibly can. This probably means avoiding planes.
- I like to party, but am not great at trying to meet people in public when I'm out alone. So, while I have absolutely no issue with "spring breakers" and would love to join them, at the same time I'm thinking maybe I should stick to places where I can have fun on my own, given the lack of likelihood that I'll change all my old habits and start spontaneously approaching strangers at bars.
- I've never gone anywhere by myself before. I'm excited about doing so even for a short trip, but want to mention this to make it clear that I'm not an experienced traveler in general. This means I don't necessarily know the cheapest way to travel/board either.
- I like beaches, I like clubs, I like museums, I like hiking... I have many interests, basically. One thing I don't do is winter sports; skiing, etc. Otherwise, feel free to suggest just about anything.
- LGBT-friendly areas would be absolutely phenomenal. In fact, if there is such a thing as a specifically trans-friendly vacation spot or something I'd love to hear about it. I'm aware of Provincetown already.
- I'm a couple hours north of NYC, and am willing to drive up to about six hours, but I'd rather take a train or bus or plane. I hate driving. Still, if there's some great mountain retreat in Vermont or something that I don't know about, I'm willing to consider it.
Any other questions, stuff I should have mentioned but didn't, etc, feel free to ask. Thanks in advance for all suggestions. :)