Identifying a naive art/folk art artist

There is an artist whose paintings strongly remind me of someone else's style. Within the realm of naive/folk art, which artist had a similar style or similar paintings? Something about the spareness of the trees, the lines of the houses, remind me strongly of... someone. Someone I would have seen in a museum or book, someone well known.

(Note that I'm not trying to identify the artist of the linked paintings. I know who that is, and I've read her artist statements, etc., to try to figure this out.)
posted by Houstonian to Media & Arts (9 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Warren Kimble?
posted by Sassyfras at 7:08 AM on March 8

Mackenzie Thorpe?
posted by Middlemarch at 10:57 AM on March 8

I'm not sure how well Markey is known but his style is the one that came to mind (my Dad has a few).
posted by billiebee at 1:48 PM on March 8

Not exactly folk art, but Chicago Imagist Roger Brown's cityscapes look kind of like that. A selection of some of his work.
posted by orthicon halo at 5:14 PM on March 8

Emilio Sanchez?
posted by PussKillian at 5:42 PM on March 8

Charles Demuth?
posted by MonkeyToes at 7:14 PM on March 8

Chris Ware came to mind for me. He draws a lot of empty square windows.
posted by Potomac Avenue at 7:59 PM on March 8

Have you tried plugging whichever image is the most evocative into google, and having them bring up visually similar images? If you do a reverse image search, you can then type "folk art" or some other phrase to narrow down the results.
posted by FirstMateKate at 1:40 PM on March 9

Thanks for all the ideas. Unfortunately, none of them struck me as the one I'm thinking of, though.
posted by Houstonian at 7:34 PM on March 9

« Older The movies and films I have in...   |  Can nuts and dried fruit be mi... Newer »