Help me identfiy this movie from the late 1960's or early 1970's.

I saw this movie on television when I was child, but can't remember much about it. As I recall, there was a dark-haired boy who had lost his mother (or parents). I'm guessing that the story is set during a war or some type of tragedy. In the story, accompanied by a woman he doesn't know, they walk amongst rubble of some desert or village. It could have been set in the Middle East, but it was an English language film.
posted by Bushmiller to Media & Arts (7 answers total)

That reminds me strongly of scenes from Hope and Glory, a WWII-themed film from the UK.
posted by Miko at 8:58 PM on March 5 [1 favorite]

How about the Aussie film, Walkabout?
posted by browse at 9:11 PM on March 5

Empire of the Sun? ... but that's 1987
posted by philip-random at 11:54 PM on March 5

Unfortunately, it's none of these. Walkabout repeatedly came up in my Google results, but that's not it.
posted by Bushmiller at 12:34 AM on March 6

By any chance is it I Love You Rosa (1972)? It was nominated for Best Foreign Language Film (Israel) but dubbed versions exist.
posted by TWinbrook8 at 12:55 AM on March 6

Central Station, maybe? It's in Portuguese initially, but maybe an Englsh dub was shown on TV.
posted by Rash at 8:33 AM on March 6

It's not "I Love You Rosa" and Central Station is too current. I believe the boy is the protagonist.
posted by Bushmiller at 3:59 PM on March 6

« Older There is a famous song that st...   |  I had what I thought was going... Newer »