Audiobook Q & A, subject matter irrelevant

I like to listen to audiobooks before I fall asleep. I would like to find audiobooks with a question and answer format. Can you help?

I fall asleep quickly, too quickly for most short stories. I love to read and listen to Q&A-format books but they are difficult to find in audiobook form.

I prefer non-fiction. The only audiobooks I have been able to find that fit the bill are this Miss Manners guide to business etiquette and this Suze Orman personal finance reference and they were perfect.

While not in Q&A form I also enjoyed listening to 101 Tough Conversations to have with Employees. Each conversation was barely more than a page, and they did not need to be read in order. I am curious if you have any recommendations for non-fiction audiobooks that follow this format - broken into short articles that are independent from one another.

Thank you very much!
posted by pintapicasso to Media & Arts (6 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

Two possibilities, which aren't Q&A but which appear to be sequential unlinked entries: The Drunken Botanist: The Plants That Create the World's Great Drinks and Wicked Plants: The Weed That Killed Lincoln's Mother and Other Botanical Atrocities, both by Amy Stewart.

Going a bit off-track, the Dhammapada is something that I find can be listened to without needing to track each bit sequentially. Paid version on Audible; free Librivox version on archive.org.
posted by Lexica at 5:53 PM on March 4

Because I Said So!: The Truth Behind the Myths, Tales, and Warnings Every Generation Passes Down to Its Kids by Ken Jennings might fit the bill. The format is a common piece of advice followed by an explanation of its veracity. If I recall, each one was only a couple of pages long at most and they don't need to be read in a particular order.
posted by wsquared at 6:39 PM on March 4

Wsquared, thank you but I am only looking for audio books. There are plenty of regular books that fit this format. (I'm sorry if that is an audio book and I'm totally missing it!)

Edited - nevermind! looks perfect, thank you!
posted by pintapicasso at 7:09 PM on March 4

What do you think about interviews?

Jacqueline Kennedy: Historic Conversations on Life with John F. Kennedy

"In 1964, Jacqueline Kennedy recorded seven historic interviews about her life with John F. Kennedy. Now, decades later, these conversations can be heard in this digitally remastered eight-and-a-half-hour audio program."
posted by calgirl at 9:55 PM on March 4

You might want to try podcasts instead of audiobooks. They're usually easier to listen to without worrying if you are paying attention all the time, or whether you make it through the whole thing.

A couple of examples with Q&A format:

Time's 10 Questions - interviews in Q&A format based on reader suggested questions. It's not being updated any more, but 20 episodes still available

Ask the Naked Scientists - some scientists answer questions people sent in
posted by philipy at 10:49 AM on March 5 [1 favorite]

The Don't Know Much series is done in a Q&A format and is pretty good. I've listened to the audio version of the American History one, and I enjoyed it. Several of the books are available on Audible.
posted by ToucanDoug at 11:14 AM on March 5

« Older I learned recently that Neil D...   |  Thriller/drama from 2000-2009-... Newer »