What was that novel that mentions grissini as a sexual metaphor?

I read a novel that has lots of sexual scenarios, one of which involves a "frigid" woman who is repeatedly offered grissini (breadsticks) by a waiter as a subliminally sexual seduction. There was another ongoing scene in which a woman was a research subject for testing orgasm response. Why? Because I can't remember and like the pirate with the steering wheel belt buckle, it's driving me nuts. Thanks!
posted by haineux to Writing & Language (3 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Those sound really vaguely like scenes in 1982 Janine by Alasdair Gray, in which case they're some of the narrator's elaborate pornographic fantasies as he tries to stave off a suicide attempt, but my memory of that book is hazy enough that I can't offer it with confidence.
posted by Rustic Etruscan at 9:33 PM on March 3

Sounds like things Nicholson Baker would write.
posted by mistsandrain at 3:29 PM on March 4

Aha! Literally popped into my head — "The Vertical Smile" by Richard Condon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Vertical_Smile
posted by haineux at 1:45 PM on March 6

« Older What are your tips and tricks ...   |  I run a forum where we discuss... Newer »