I'm seriously considering chopping my hair short again, but it's a tough decision as my hair grows slowly. I'd love some help and opinions!!
I've had my hair short before. I liked it, but also had issues with not knowing how to style it or getting bored with it quickly. Now, though working full-time I find it hard to actually do anything with my hair and it gets messy and limp easily.
Here is a photo of me today
. I chopped off 5 inches of hair about 6 months ago, then a couple months ago I got the layers in hopes of easier styling. Needless to say my hair is still super thick and hard to style, not to mention that it takes FOREVER to dry and I wash it at night. (It's already be thinned and layered. There was a pile of hair on the floor the last time I got it cut but it's still soooo thick.)
are old photos of an old short haircut. They are similar to what I'd want.
I like this of Mariska
and this layered style
I was thinking that if I do go short, I could keep it a bit longer in the front so I have something more to play around with as far as clips. I could also try to do some beachy waves if it's a bit longer. I won't probably do bangs. I also think I could ROCK a pixie cut but I'm scared by the thought of the awkward regrowth periods if I wanted to go long again.
Although a pixie cut would definitely be the lowest maintenance.
Pros of a short cut:
- Easier to style
- Dries faster
- Cute and fun
- Low maintenance
- Cooler for summer
Cons of a short cut:
-Less style options
- Can't put it in a ponytail
- Sometimes awkward regrowth (see Pixie cut)
Pros of keeping my hair long:
- More style options
- More similar to most women in my workplace (I'm actually not sure if that's neutral...)
- Can put it in a ponytail
- Can curl it/wear it wavy
Cons of keeping it long:
- Difficult to style
- Takes FOREVER to dry and style
- Often am too lazy and it ends up in a ponytail
- Gets in my face/in my mouth often
- Static problems and getting caught on clothing
- Hot/sweaty in summer
- Shedding long hairs everywhere (and my husband finding them in his scruffy 5 o'clock shadow)
- KNOTS and TANGLES! Ouch!
So realistically, if I go short I'm looking for something that compliments my face and is low-maintenance. If there is a Pixie cut that would be AMAZING and also have a less awkward regrowth period if I grow it out then I'd be open to that too.
- Should I keep my hair long or chop it off?
- How short and what styles would look nice on my face?
- If I go short, what's the best way to communicate what I want to my stylist? (So it doesn't end up too short...)
- If I go short, what's the best way to play with styling besides wearing a hat or headband? (Products? Accessories?) I'm not interested in dying or highlighting my hair, though.
As a data point, my husband and my dad could care less if it's short or long so it's a green light from them if I chop it off.