Join 3,438 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

Job title for CEOs right-hand man
March 3, 2014 9:47 AM   Subscribe

Please help come up with a job title for a new position. This is a small company (~25) focused on marketing and associated software development. The person in this position is tasked with working directly with the CEO to extract his visions of new ideas, then creating mock-ups or final graphic designs as needed.

The person does not do executive administrative tasks. They will occasionally work with or mentor an existing graphic design department, of which they were formally the Creative Director.
posted by Diddly to Work & Money (15 answers total)

Senior user experience designer?
posted by bleep at 9:48 AM on March 3

Chief Creative Officer
posted by something something at 9:52 AM on March 3 [1 favorite]

Creative Director sounds pretty close.
posted by These Birds of a Feather at 9:53 AM on March 3

Chief Creative (Officer) is what I'd recommend as well.
posted by a halcyon day at 9:58 AM on March 3

Often people who work s a right hand man for a CEO are called a "CEO Executive Assistant" or "Strategic Assistant to the CEO" or similar even if they do no PA-type work.

In your context, where they were a senior manager like a Creative Director if they are formally in the org chart as someone every part of the key creatives report into somehow or need to take heed of then I'd pick one of Creative Director, Chief Creative Officer, Creative Strategist, Head of Creative Strategy. If not, I'd be more inclined to call them a "Strategic Advisor" or "Creative Advisor" or use a term like "Associate" to emphasise they were slightly outside the org chart.
posted by MuffinMan at 9:59 AM on March 3 [1 favorite]

I like MuffinMan's approach. At amazon, the technical assistant or technical advisor to the CEO does something like that. If they don't have direct reports or a management role other than occasionally working with or mentoring the graphics design department, I wouldn't think they would have a title that includes "Chief" or "Director".
posted by odin53 at 10:11 AM on March 3

Having trouble understanding what is happening with the designs--are they becoming software developments? If so maybe Director of User Experience?
posted by Potomac Avenue at 10:45 AM on March 3

A "design" will be a digital or print graphic, or mock-up of a website or application interface.

The position will not be a management role.
posted by Diddly at 10:49 AM on March 3

Conceptual Developer
posted by feckless fecal fear mongering at 11:13 AM on March 3

I am confused - is this person working for CFO in the sense of helping with work that is on the CO'S list but CFO is too busy for? Or is this person doing whatever as a direct report to the CFO?
posted by Lesser Shrew at 1:38 PM on March 3

CEO, not CFO. CEO has an idea, but doesn't have the design skills or time to create it. This person deciphers a vague idea description, creates a visual, then continues to refine the idea with the CEO. Part sounding board, part story board artist, part graphics/UX designer.
posted by Diddly at 4:26 PM on March 3

Any title you want that matches the level of the role and the responsibilities.

"Director of Implementation." "Director of Strategic Planning." "Senior Project Manager." "Head of Special Projects." "Special Projects Coordinator."

If this person won't manage other people in any way or working directly with other departments, you could maybe make it "Senior Adviser for ____." i.e. "Senior Adviser for Project Development."
posted by AppleTurnover at 11:36 PM on March 3

I've heard COO (Chief Operating Officer) used to describe this role before, but it's a term that means many things to many people - Operations can cover anything from being in charge of what the company does to being in charge of making sure all the company's internal services (HR, Finance, IT, internal development, etc.) do what they're meant to do.
posted by terretu at 2:14 AM on March 4

Strategic assistant is the title we would use in my organisation.
posted by plonkee at 10:25 AM on March 4

Imagineer
posted by MuffinMan at 11:18 AM on March 4

« Older Theoretically, say you are a s...   |  A close family member will be ... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments