Join 3,512 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

Tags:

Having a problem with Zimbra email client.
February 27, 2014 8:41 AM   Subscribe

I have recently started using Zimbra as my email client and I love it. It does everything I need it to do and it does it well. With one problem. I keep getting an email I am trying to send to a client bounced back to me. I checked his address several times to make sure I have it correct. The problem originated when I had entered his address incorrectly. It is a gmail account I had it wrong as gmai. As I said it has been corrected and I enter it correctly before I send it. But when it comes back it comes back as the old one ending with gmai. And therefore is undeliverable. I am at my wits end.
posted by jtexman to Technology (7 answers total)
 
why not just write a new email and copy the content in?
posted by davejay at 8:45 AM on February 27


I tried that. It still comes back with the bad address. Somewhere somehow gmail has the bad address in its memory.
posted by jtexman at 8:56 AM on February 27


You might try this.
posted by gudrun at 9:17 AM on February 27


This might be a Zimbra thing. Look in your address book tab, there should be an "emailed contacts" entry -- this is where it stores addresses that you have used for future auto-completion. See if there is an entry in there for the person you are trying to contact and delete that, then try again.
posted by cgk at 9:24 AM on February 27


Are you sure it hasn't been delivered? Many mail servers will retry to send bad messages a few times before they give up. So it's very possible that you are seeing the first bad message get bounced two or three times before it gives up.
posted by advicepig at 10:15 AM on February 27 [1 favorite]


Seconding what advicepig said. To test this i would send an email with a different text body with something along the lines of I'm sorry I am currently experiencing e mail difficulty, please respond if you get this message.
posted by AlexiaSky at 11:36 AM on February 27


I think I have success. I had to go to gmail proper and find my client's address. It had remembered the bad one and was somehow substituting that when I used the proper one. Don't understand why, but deleting that contact, which was a convoluted process, appears to have done the trick. Thanks again.
posted by jtexman at 12:08 PM on February 27


« Older I have a simple application th...   |  I'm looking for resources to h... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments