How to find independance with a visual deficit?
February 24, 2014 6:45 AM Subscribe
I have low vision and I cannot drive because of it. I feel imprisoned and this is a last ditch effort to see if there is some solution (or partial solution) to help me gain more independence.
posted by anonymous to Grab Bag (17 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite
A couple of things first.
1. I live in Columbus, Ohio. Public transportation sucks here in general, but especially if you live out of downtown (which I do). We're talking about spending waiting hours for a bus (or being on the bus a really long time), both ways, if that area is even served (which it probably isn't). I have tried and tried to make this a viable option.
2. My vision lands me in between worlds. My vision is too good to qualify me for much additional help (I've previously worked with vision rehab services here which was a total waste of time and they were no help) but not good enough where I can drive.
3. My acuity is bad, but not terrible (20/60 with correction) but I also have strabismus and nystagmus, which means it's hard for my eyes to focus on details. Despite 20/60 being able to get a day license I've never been able to pass the vision test. Because of all of this, I'm hesitant to bike on roads and such as I can't read road signs, street names, license plates. Also, in my experiences drivers here don't like bikers and with my visual deficitss I just feel too vulnerable. (Because of my location I'd have to take major, very busy roads to go anywhere worth going).
4. I can't move right now. I live at home. I'm employed full-time but working a job that only needs a high school diploma. This is not by choice. I've had bad to terrible experiences with the job hunt so if I could move to another area with better choices for me I would, but it hasn't worked thus far. I have nightmares about being unemployed again. I have saved a good amount living at home, but it isn't like I can pay for a private driver.
5. I am completely dependent on my family for transportation. My mom takes me to work. My brother or sister will give me rides for other stuff but they both work and have other activities. I really am limited on how often I can ask for rides since they need to live their own lives and work multiple jobs. My parents and I have tried to make the public transportation an option, even just for work, but it's a no-go for most things.
6. Finally, I have asperger's. I don't have any friends I talk to on a regular basis (just once or twice a year). I'd like to work on this, and even find a boyfriend, but my lack of transportation really affects this, which just makes me feel more lonely. I live a good 20 minutes from most people I at least sort of know so even if I give them gas money I still feel bad about it, and I definitely have felt in the past (in high school) I've worn out my welcome this way.
I feel like I've exhausted everything. I really want to be less passive and take control of my life and do more fun things instead of waiting for things to happen to me but every time I get some good ideas I can't make the transportation part work. I kind of feel like I should just give up and stop trying, just accept that this is my lot in life and living at home is just the best I can do.
While the dream is to live away from home, I would really love to just leave the confines of my neighborhood (besides working) every now and again, meet some people without my mom picking me up, stuff like that.
If there is any hope for my situation, I would love to hear it.