Web platform suggestions

What's a good small-scale web platform for sharing documents?

My co-op board asked me to build a web site for the building: some place to store meeting minutes, budget spreadsheets, blueprints, etc. So basically a document repository. Some requirements are:
  • Per-user permissions (everyone can read, only some can write)
  • Version control
  • Support 6 - 8 users; and I'd be surprised if we exceeded 100 requests per year
  • (Ideally) Easy to understand, since we have some elderly members who aren't tech-savvy
  • (Ideally) Cheap.
The possibilities I've considered are: Google Apps, Office 365, and Perforce Commons (free for <20 users!). The first two meet the requirements, but the price seems high given how little we'd use the system. Perforce Commons is free, but I worry that it might be confusing to my 80-year-old neighbor.

Anyone have opinions about which of the above (or something else) would fit the bill?
posted by molybdenum to Computers & Internet (6 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Google Sites would be free and I think can handle your permissions requirements.
posted by COD at 12:18 PM on February 21

Wouldn't dropbox do this for you pretty easily? Then it can just be a nice, familiar folder on their desktop.
posted by rockindata at 12:19 PM on February 21 [1 favorite]

Do you need the ability to edit the files in browser? If not, there are tons of collaborative sharing web apps that are cheap/free.
posted by wongcorgi at 12:33 PM on February 21

From what you describe, I would use dropbox. If you want to roll your own, I also use OwnCloud.
posted by humboldt32 at 12:44 PM on February 21

Thanks for the ideas everyone!

From what I've read, dropbox doesn't support user-specific permissions, does it? I need to enforce, e.g., that the secretary of the co-op can modify minute notes, but no one else.

Google Sites looks promising, though. It looks like it can set per-user page permissions; I'm not clear if I can do the same for individual documents.
posted by molybdenum at 1:10 PM on February 21

You could get the $10, 10-user Confluence license. It's not free, but it's not really that expensive either. All content is version-controlled, permissions can be set per-user, it's WYSIWYG for editing, etc.
posted by jraenar at 3:37 PM on February 21

« Older For home recordings, I'm looki...   |  My 6 week old daughter will be... Newer »