where the 性交 am I?

How do I see this google map of Japan with English placenames?
posted by luriete to Technology (10 answers total)
Isn't this like asking "how do I see the google map of the US with Japanese placenames"?
posted by smackfu at 11:31 AM on October 18, 2005

Yes. Is that also possible?
posted by luriete at 11:31 AM on October 18, 2005

Well, I don't need English placenames, per se, but anglicized Japanese placenames in the roman alphabet. I assume, given the various phonetic translation tools online, that something like this would be available; it'd make google maps very useful for travelers to other countries (at least countries that use a different alphabet), and not simply to folks who already know that alphabet.
posted by luriete at 11:33 AM on October 18, 2005

I mean, obviously the transliterated name is associated with a certain map location in gmaps; I can search for Ota, Japan and it gives me the correct location, but every label on the map uses Japanese characters. I am assuming (making an ass out of myself, yes) that these are generated dynamically and are not simply enormous JPGs? I thought maybe someone had come up with a hack or tool for this, guess not.
posted by luriete at 11:36 AM on October 18, 2005

The place names are embedded within the image files. I think that makes them pretty much unhackable.
posted by cillit bang at 12:05 PM on October 18, 2005

Gotcha. Assumed it was some sort of rendering process that happened on the fly. Oh well! Thanks anyway.
posted by luriete at 12:25 PM on October 18, 2005

alternatively, anyone know a good online map of Japan that might do directions? Yahoo and Mapquest don't seem to have Japan.
posted by luriete at 12:27 PM on October 18, 2005

Mapion is good but it's in Japanese.
posted by dydecker at 12:40 PM on October 18, 2005

Try maporama.
posted by monju_bosatsu at 1:08 PM on October 18, 2005

Microsoft's Local.Live (worst name for a map service ever) has English place names for their map of Japan.
posted by Gortuk at 10:37 AM on December 30, 2005

« Older Choral music reccommendations?   |   How do I talk to my parents about planning for... Newer »