Books Wanted: Channeling Productive Psychological Destruction/Creation

What I'm looking for: something to read about destroying those idealizations I've built up over, really, a lifetime - and in turn, building up trust in myself and holding my own powers/creations as my own, instead of turning them over to groups with institutionalized power. Background: I need to break up with the city I live in, the large institution I have worked for for 10+ years, and deal with the fact that I idealize Academia in general and this one in particular and that it's let me down too many times - something akin to a crappy relationship or family, but those aren't the problems.

I'm looking for books, specifically, as I spend too much time online as it is. Non-religious strongly preferred, although treatments of mytho-religious uses of archetypes in a Jungian or Joseph Campbell way are absolutely OK.

I'm in therapy and this is what came out last week with a sudden flash of realization. I have some low-grade depression and I'm actually handling it pretty well (therapy, low-dose meds, 3-4x weekly exercise are all helpful).

I'm a creative type but in deep procrastination and not creating anything right now, either, which is why the whole 'destruction/creation' thing is sort of what I'm looking for.

Bonus points for queer- and gender-nonconforming friendly resources.
posted by Weighted Companion Cube to Grab Bag (3 answers total) 9 users marked this as a favorite

From personal experience: Viktor Frankl's 'Man's Search For Meaning' helped me with my idealizations/disappointment and my need for personal enrichment/power. Perhaps not explicitly the subject...it is still a element.
posted by W.S (disambiguation) at 10:18 PM on February 17

For some reason, your question made me think of the rather old Women Who Run With Wolves. If any of that works for you, there are a lot of related books to explore.

Are you looking for books about people who left their old lives and started new? People who came to terms with their choices? Novels, memoirs, self-help...? Your question isn't clear.

Keri Hulme's The Bone People hit me as a book that showed that people and love mattered more than intelligence and books, a brutally sad and beautiful book.
posted by viggorlijah at 11:23 PM on February 17

Viggorlijah: Women Who Run With Wolves was actually what my therapist said would work for someone in a parallel situation to mine, except I have really functional intimate relationships (it's all the other stuff that has issues.)

That doesn't mean I won't read it, especially since it might link up to other things more appropriate for my situation.
posted by Weighted Companion Cube at 8:25 AM on February 18

« Older I graduated from a state schoo...   |  I've made it this far in life ... Newer »