Snowed in and want to bake

I would like to bake something sweet today, but I am snowed in and have only a few ingredients on hand. What can I make?

Ideally, I'd like the recipe to be something that doesn't use substitutes to work well. I have a cake pan and cookie sheets in the way of tools.

I have flour, white sugar, a bit of confectioners sugar, butter, vegetable oil, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla, cinnamon. No eggs, no milk, no yeast. Is there something delicious and sweet that I can throw together?
posted by k8lin to Food & Drink (19 answers total) 7 users marked this as a favorite

Did you see this?
posted by phunniemee at 12:17 PM on February 13

Flatbreads
posted by axismundi at 12:17 PM on February 13

Kind of left-field, but do you have mayonnaise? (Most of the recipes are with cocoa, but you could flavor them with vanilla and cinnamon instead)
posted by kagredon at 12:19 PM on February 13

Most shortbread cookie recipes just call for butter, flour, sugar, and vanilla.
posted by EmpressCallipygos at 12:19 PM on February 13 [3 favorites]

Twice-baked shortbread
posted by unknowncommand at 12:20 PM on February 13 [1 favorite]

Do you have any chopped pecans, almonds or walnuts? You could make something like Pecan Sandies
posted by JoeZydeco at 12:20 PM on February 13

Shortbread -- flour, sugar (either white or confectioner's), butter. Could also make a nice icing with water plus confectioner's sugar, or sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.

Pie crust, if you make it with butter and have something with which to fill a pie. Pies can be made in cake tins.

Biscuits -- water is not as rich as the milk that is usually called for, but they should be perfectly edible. Could also include making a sweet biscuit for shortbread if you have frozen berries or canned fruit for filling. Or even just jam. (Also, if you have sour cream or yoghurt, it can be subbed for milk/cream in any biscuit recipe, just add water to adjust the consistency of the dough before rolling out.)
posted by pie ninja at 12:22 PM on February 13

Welfare Cake or War Time Cake. If you don't have cocoa powder, add a bit of cinnamon, as it only calls for 5 TBS. Make an icing or glaze using your powdered sugar.
posted by Marie Mon Dieu at 12:26 PM on February 13 [1 favorite]

I can't believe I didn't see today's earlier post! I did search, and I read regularly, so I am surprised I missed it!

Shortbread sounds promising...

I also have sour cream, fwiw.
posted by k8lin at 12:27 PM on February 13

If you have any kind of filling, you could make pie.

ETA: Should have previewed.

So I'll also mention scones! This recipe calls for milk, but it's such a small amount I wonder if you could make a substitution:

http://www.madeinmykitchen.com/2013/08/americas-test-kitchen-blueberry-scones.html
posted by hought20 at 12:33 PM on February 13

I can verify that I have subbed sour cream for milk/cream in scone recipes before with good results -- scones are just sweet biscuits with dried fruit/nuts in.

Also, sour cream buttercream frosting for shortbread cookies! Confectioner's sugar, softened butter, small amount of sour cream to moisten, vanilla. Disclaimer, I have not tried it myself, but I am guessing this would totally work.
posted by pie ninja at 12:40 PM on February 13

Flour + sugar + butter = Scottish shortbread!
posted by usonian at 12:47 PM on February 13 [1 favorite]

Crazy cake aka wacky cake or depression cake is made without eggs. It was popular during the Great Depression and WWII, when certain ingredients were either too expensive, or too rationed to use regularly. It has no eggs and is actually quite tasty.
posted by PearlRose at 12:47 PM on February 13 [1 favorite]

I like this self-saucing chocolate pudding--I'd sub 1/4c each of sour cream and water for the milk that's called for. (Also, if you make it, increase the sauce ingredients by about 50%.)
posted by MeghanC at 1:11 PM on February 13

Snickerdoodles!

Edit: oops, sorry, I missed that you don't have eggs, don't mind me.
posted by rabbitrabbit at 1:37 PM on February 13

You can substitute Mayonnaise for eggs.

That opens up a LOT of options. Also, Sour Cream Pound Cake.

It's melting here, I'm gonna go out!

Yay! OUT!
posted by Ruthless Bunny at 1:54 PM on February 13

it might be too late, but for future reference, there are some websites that give recipes based on what you have on hand:

supercook

my fridge food

recipe matcher

...though i cant speak to the quality of these sites, but maybe they might help. hope you got to make something yummy!
posted by carlypennylane at 4:10 PM on February 13

Although I said I didn't want substitutes, there was something really satisfying about the idea of using up the rest of my mayonnaise and sour cream. It seemed a little more desperate and like it would make a better story or something. So after a brief consideration of shortbread, I made the sour cream pound cake from Ruthless Bunny and subbed in about a half a cup of mayo for the eggs, using up exactly the last of both ingredients. I baked it at 350 for one hour in a round 8-inch cake pan. It's delicious! Thanks!
posted by k8lin at 6:34 PM on February 13 [3 favorites]

On allrecipes.com, look at Best Toffee Ever! Butter and white sugar and chocolate chips plus a candy thermometer = homemade Heath Bars. My suggestions are to stir constantly and to cook around 10 degrees higher than the recipe suggests. Sweet Lord Above, it's good stuff.
posted by Lornalulu at 6:35 PM on February 13

« Older Are there specific exercizes t...   |  I want a program that allows f... Newer »