February 12, 2014 12:49 AM Subscribe
I'm trying to make language learning a daily habit on my bus commute, and looking for tips on making it work.
posted by hannahlambda to Education (12 answers total) 18 users marked this as a favorite
I want to learn my partner's language, Czech. So far for about six months I've spent a few days a week on my hour long bus trip to work doing some of the following -
- Practicing vocab learning on my Memrise app;
- Listening to a Czech learning podcast;
- Listening to simple dialogues from the CDs of Teach Yourself Czech and the Foreign Service Institute FAST course;
- Occasionally reading the dialogues and vocab from PDFs of the above books on my iPhone.
Reading is more difficult on the bus and iPhone.
I'd like advice on a few things:
1. How to keep interested and not bored? I get very motivated coming up to a trip to the country but that's only once or twice a year.
2. The grammar is very difficult for me. I guess there's no hope that I can simply pick this up by listening to a lot of dialogue? There are a million cases. Books aren't the easiest on the bus - do I need a grammar book and actually study?
3. Any new Czech specific learning resources that are bus friendly would be great.
4. Finally, words and stories of motivation from people who have learned a difficult new language by themselves would be lovely.