Help me identify memoir of woman who eloped with itinerant photographer

When a family friend was an early teen, she read a memoir/autobiography by a young woman from somewhere in the Midwest (if she remembers correctly) who eloped with an itinerant photographer and spent the rest of her life accompanying him through Africa and other exotic venues. My friend thinks the author's surname started with "O". The friend says: "Her adventurousness inspired me, although I was too well indoctrinated to follow her example."
posted by espertus to Writing & Language (4 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

I neglected to mention that the friend was a teen fifty-some years ago.
posted by espertus at 12:37 PM on February 10

Sounds like it might be "I Married Adventure: The Lives of Martin and Osa Johnson"
posted by Floydd at 12:39 PM on February 10 [1 favorite]

The Safari Museum in Osa's hometown details their life. It was one of the gems of my roadtrip through KS.
posted by brujita at 12:42 PM on February 10 [1 favorite]

You're amazing, answering the question in just a few minutes! It took me longer to reach my friend and confirm that you indeed identified the book. Thank you so much!
posted by espertus at 7:45 AM on February 11

« Older I had a severe fall on my elbo...   |  This question was helpful, but... Newer »