Resources on Normal and Abnormal Childhood Development?
February 9, 2014 8:21 AM Subscribe
Looking for resources for a well-educated layperson on the following topics. I'm trying to figure out if the childhood psychological/psychosocial development for a person who had early signs of sexual knowledge (age 2, already expressing complete sentences) but who expressed verbal interest only later (age 5) was normal/abnormal and if parenting or just precociousness/agency had anything to do with anything that might be considered normal/abnormal about that development path. I'm out of my depth here in research and would appreciate your help.
posted by anonymous to Human Relations (3 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
I would prefer resources available on the web but would be willing to get resources from the library too.
Here's a list of the topics I'm looking for pointers to:
- General childhood developmental milestones
- Normal childhood sexual development and sexual knowledge in the U.S. esp. during the 1970s and 1980s
- Contemporary understanding of normal and abnormal psychosocial development
- Cognitive therapy-specific protocols for patients with abnormal/precocious/sexually precocious childhoods
- Adjustment to normal therapeutic protocol (if any) for early mental or emotional developers
- Pointers to related topics within the childhood and sexual development fields