Who doesn't own cars?

I'm trying to do a bit of research and I'm looking into broad demographics about car ownership. There's a fair amount of information about what kinds of people own what kinds of vehicles, but I'm getting stuck finding a demographic profile for adults who don't own cars. Any thoughts as to where I can find this information? BONUS POINTS if it's around Canada/North America and within the last 3 years.

BONUS POINTS if it's around Canada/North America and within the last 3 years.
posted by robot-hugs to Travel & Transportation (6 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

You might try contacting the University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute, who just put out a report, examining how many households are without a car (9.2% in the US in 2012, unsurprisingly concentrated in some cities). The abstract does not talk about the demographics of the households, beyond the cities, but maybe the report does.
posted by crush-onastick at 9:26 AM on February 7

Me! I suggest looking at Streetsblog, Human Transit, or the Atlantic Cities since I think I have read statistics about this and those are my main transportation news outlets.
posted by mlle valentine at 9:30 AM on February 7

As a non-driver due to low vision I wonder if any state disability offices would have some information.
posted by Aranquis at 9:32 AM on February 7

Allow me to re-purpose an answer I gave a few hours ago to another question:

The census bureau conducts an annual survey on a statistical sample of the United States with some pretty detailed employment information vehicle ownership information (plus lots of other great stuff). The Minnesota Population Center does a nice job of making that data accessible. You can track occupation and industry vehicle ownership by statistically weighted individual household.
posted by paper chromatographologist at 9:35 AM on February 7 [2 favorites]

Millennials: (1), (2), (3)
posted by ewiar at 10:26 AM on February 7

This data is also available (at the household level) in the U.S. from the National Household Travel Survey (2009).
posted by voiceofreason at 11:36 AM on February 7 [1 favorite]

« Older I need to find an entry level ...   |  My organization is looking for... Newer »