What book is this?

Asking for a friend, who writes...
Somewhere along the line in life, I let someone borrow a book in which a character, presumably named Christine fakes a pregnancy, where she has a pillow with a child's face drawn on it under her dress. It also includes people being ripped apart by demonic monkeys, or something of that sort... while I know this book sounds strange, I need to find out what it's called... so let me know, if you know.

I have every faith in you guys.
posted by SLC Mom to Grab Bag (4 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

TVTropes has a page on Pillow Pregnancy. While I didn't see anything that matches your description, it's possible that your friend is misremembering the details.
posted by alligatorman at 5:00 AM on February 7

Suddenly, Last Summer is a play by Tennessee Williams featuring a woman named Catharine who has a breakdown after watching her cousin Sebastian be torn apart by cannibals. It's tenuous, but the woman with a C-name plus someone being torn apart made me wonder if it was this. Don't remember anything about a pregnancy, though.
posted by terretu at 11:59 AM on February 7

It is very likely I'm wrong on this, but part of me wants to say that, in the early 90s, I read a Christopher Pike or R.L. Stine book that this question reminds me of. Or something else my high school boyfriend brought home... and he was mostly into those two at the time. I just can't grab any more memory out of it than a vague feeling.
posted by stormyteal at 4:23 PM on February 7

Thanks guys. No joy, but it was fun looking at alll of those!
posted by SLC Mom at 1:33 PM on March 9

« Older Maybe it's just my computer, b...   |  I want to run my first maratho... Newer »