Occupation shifts over time

I'd like to visualize shifts in employment between occupations in the United States from the end of WWII to the present. Here is a (rather poor) example of the the sort of thing I have in mind. OES data seems like the obvious choice, but the BLS specifically cautions against using it. Is there better data available? I'm mostly interested in broad shifts due to technical change (i.e. the emergence of the software industry, the decline in manufacturing employment).
posted by wobdev to Science & Nature (1 answer total)

The census bureau conducts an annual survey on a statistical sample of the United States with some pretty detailed employment information (plus lots of other great stuff). The Minnesota Population Center does a nice job of making that data accessible. You can track occupation and industry by statistically weighted individual.
posted by paper chromatographologist at 6:06 AM on February 7

« Older So I have joined the 2010s and...   |  Sad times in my family. My six... Newer »