Join 3,564 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

Tags:

Need Chinese translation to english
February 5, 2014 6:26 PM   Subscribe

Can any one tell me what it says at the bottom of this picture in english? I think it is Chinese.
posted by tomjoadsghost to Writing & Language (7 answers total)

It says:

Lenin
-------
The East is Red Textile Factory, Hangzhou, China 9.5x14.6 cm
posted by zjacreman at 6:58 PM on February 5

Silk textiles, specifically.
posted by zjacreman at 7:01 PM on February 5 [1 favorite]

As zjacreman says ...

It's captioned with Lenin's name, and then lists where it was made (and the size in the bottom right corner).

Top line:
列寧 (Lièníng)
Lenin

Bottom line:
中国杭州东方红絲织厂 (Zhōngguó Hángzhōu dōngfāng hóngsī zhīchǎng)
China, HangZhou East red silk weaving factory
posted by Gomez_in_the_South at 7:06 PM on February 5

That bottom lines is better parsed as Zhōngguó Hángzhōu DōngFāngHóng sīzhīhchǎng because, as zjacreman says, the name of the textile factory is "The East Is Red". That was a common name for tractor, textile, shoe, etc factories during the Cultural Revolution period (approx 1966-79). Products like this have retro appeal in today's China so this particular item could either be an original from that era or a recent copy.
posted by mono blanco at 7:34 PM on February 5

I did a quick search that confirms it was likely made during the Cultural Revolution, and currently goes for 20 to 30RMB (US$3-5) on a site specializing in these kinds of silk weavings. The same site also has a giant 49x72cm version and a set of all your favorite communists.
posted by bradf at 9:40 PM on February 5

Um, this may not be allowed to ask, but: Who is the communist in the lower right corner in the set bradf links to? I don't recognize him.
posted by bertran at 10:13 PM on February 5

bertran - Norman Bethune.
posted by Houstonian at 4:47 AM on February 6

« Older Never has been a blissful marr...   |  Are there are hard sci-fi nove... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments