Skip

Angry Bastard Music?
February 4, 2014 9:11 AM   Subscribe

I have been in a bad mood lately, and need some angry bastard music to get me through it & help me kick some butts. A small list of special snowflake details inside...

• I'm not very good with abrasive stuff, especially vocals - Pig Destroyer is right out.
  • Lots of intensity for sustained periods is hard to deal with. Lightning Bolt is amazing, but after one or two tracks I'm done.
  • To stick with metal, Baroness is an okay solution, I think, as is Black Sabbath. Are there instrumental equivalents?
  • I used to go for industrial (e.g. VNV Nation), but now find it a bit more boring than I once did. Stuff like Shackleton is a bit too depressing, as opposed to aggressive.
  • Yeezus has worked pretty darn well, and other material in a similar sonic vein would be welcome. That said, my experience with rap can run hot-cold. Instrumental jams are preferred, especially if I'm going to destroy evil as I work.
  • Post-rock is okay, but I've heard a fair amount of loud-soft-loud. Not something I'd rule out, but if it has more to it than that I'd be happy.
posted by Going To Maine to Media & Arts (18 answers total) 12 users marked this as a favorite

Fear Factory's "Obsolete" would scratch this itch for me.
posted by jbickers at 9:15 AM on February 4 [1 favorite]

Foetus?
posted by infinitywaltz at 9:29 AM on February 4

I'mma lay some old-school on you:

Ministry

Boris Mikulic

KMFDM

Nihilistic anger of the ancients.
posted by BigLankyBastard at 9:32 AM on February 4 [1 favorite]

Check out Hymns from Godflesh. Can't go wrong.
posted by Otis at 9:32 AM on February 4 [1 favorite]

You might enjoy almost everything by Nomeansno.
posted by vrakatar at 10:24 AM on February 4 [1 favorite]

Seconding Swans.

Also kinda old-school: Barkmarket & Unsane

In the sludge/stoner/kinda sorta "classic" metal vein: Red Fang, High On Fire, maybe some Mastodon

Maybe a bit too post-rock for you, but there's the instrumental bands Red Sparowes and Pelican

Try poking through the roster of Relapse Records and Hydra Head Records
posted by soundguy99 at 10:32 AM on February 4

Limp Bizkit's "Break Stuff" is largely credited with starting the Woodstock '99 riot.

Don't listen to it when you drive.
posted by DWRoelands at 10:40 AM on February 4

Ministry's "Jesus Built My Hotrod" and also "H.B.M.F." (*ahem*) by Frank Turner or maybe some Beat Farmers? I always feel better after singing myself hoarse with these guys.
posted by wenestvedt at 10:48 AM on February 4

I think Black Flag might fit into the pocket you're looking at. It's intense, but 1980-intense and so less likely to be overwhelming. Their guitar sound is actually not unlike Lightning Bolt's.
posted by ignignokt at 1:42 PM on February 4

L7's Shitlist may fit the bill nicely.
posted by mr. digits at 2:02 PM on February 4

How about Shellac?
posted by zer0render at 2:28 PM on February 4 [1 favorite]

Thanks for the many suggestions! My one concern with Swans is that Michael Gira has always seemed downtempo. Not having had a chance to dive into these yet, I've been using the aforementioned Baroness and Battles.
posted by Going To Maine at 3:09 PM on February 4

Chick flavored:

Hammerbox – Anywhere But Here
Ida Maria – Oh My God
Hedwig And The Angry Inch – Tear Me Down
Sleater-Kinney – All Hands On The Bad One
Gin Wigmore – Devil In Me
The Faders – No Sleep Tonight
Liz Phair – Jealousy
Yeah Yeah Yeahs – Date With The Night
The Donnas – Take It Off
posted by manduca at 4:33 PM on February 4

I would second Ministry. MC5 could work, too.
posted by JCMFD at 4:50 PM on February 4

If you're willing to give rap a try (noticed your bit about running hot and cold with it), Atmosphere has been the balm to soothe my inner wounded teenager for years.
posted by mostly vowels at 8:15 AM on February 5

« Older I inherited a bunch of text fi...   |  Is it worth it to buy a MBP wi... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments